Monday, February 15, 2010

Give Peas a Chance



Again, I’ve been remised in my social obligation to keep up with new things. If you remember it was only last year when I finally discovered how good Snoop Dogg and Eminem were. I felt like my resistance to rap robbed me from enjoying this music for a decade and I had a lot of catching up to do.

It happened again. Though they’ve been around for twelve years; last week I finally came to realize how good the Black Eyed Peas are. I could have been enjoying this stuff over the last twelve years and now I have to play catch-up. I know some of you are out there calling me an old fogey douche bag, but I am sincerely trying to keep up.

Now, for those that haven’t spent any time with the Peas they aren’t just a Rap/Hip Hop act, these folks are all over the place. Yes, they are based in Hip Hop, but they introduce all sorts of textures of other musical genres into every song. In their music one can hear techno, funk, reggae, old school jazz and fusion, salsa, , metal, acoustic and hard rock.

I’m sure I’ve mentioned before that I have a very short attention span and I am always fascinated by music that changes often with outstanding production values. This stuff is definitely headphone or ear bud music. It has all if not even more energy than Snoop, Eminem and the Flowbots. This stuff can restore your faith in the music industry and restore all the air that Lady GaGa sucked out of the room.

Here is a piece that is for the ears of those that need a gentle transition into realizing this group is worth a listen. This song is called Union and it features Sting. Click this link.

15 Comments:

Blogger dalia said...

seriously? you like the peas? i dunno if we can be friends anymore... hahaha...

i liked them pre-fergie... when they were organic, funky hiphop. they're a true pop outfit now, and while i will cop to liking a few of their newer stuff, i'm not sure how much more i can take of the ubiquitous will.i.am and his autotuner...

4:24 AM  
Blogger Shelly Rayedeane said...

I like peas better than corn!

4:25 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Just because I’m a little bit ahead of you, it never occurred to me to call you an “old fogey douche bag.” Truly. ;)
I love the Black Eyed Peas!

5:38 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

That wasn't too bad. Didn't make my lip curl or give me that uncontrollable tic in my left eye that most straight rap does. You could hear Stings influence all over the place before you even heard his voice. OK, you won this round.

5:57 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Dalia, From you I'd like a list of what I should be listening to. You are one of my younger, hipper readers, so tell me what is new now so I don't have to wait ten years to find out.

Shelly, do you mean Korn?

Beth, boy would I take notice if you did.

Darev, ok now you'll have to hear Smells Like Funk.

6:33 AM  
Anonymous FLee said...

I predict a South African rap/hip hop outfit called Die Anterwoord will become huge in the US. They're all about the next level and have mad Zef flow. Plus they got Yo Landi Vi$$er and she is smoking hot to watch.

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

word--whuups, its "Die Antwoord"---yo

11:30 AM  
Blogger richpix said...

It's like Bob Marley, with rap. I'll stick to good old reggae, thank you very much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCFHYyErkA0

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://dieantwoord.com/

8:34 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

F Lee, thanks man, you always make me laugh. I couldn't control my laughter seeing this this 60 year old wanna-be with bad prison tatts and his 16 year old neighbor from the trailer park......Still laughing.....

5:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tap into your inner Zef and get all up in the next level with the Ninja

7:35 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

If I could get famous just by saying "fu*k" set to bad music, would I do it? No.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Guy said...

Anon, seriously, if I could stop laughing long enough I'd give it a chance.

Darev, think of it, you are getting famous from people shouting that at you.

7:49 AM  
Anonymous FLee said...

It just keeps gettin better..

http://www.watkykjy.co.za/DieAntwoordvsEnyaOrinocoNinjaFlow.mp3

these guys will be the Beatles of their generation

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I mean....

http://www.watkykjy.co.za/

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home