Saturday, February 20, 2010

I didn't Mean It!


When I got home yesterday I was surprised to see my wife had my horse on a lead rope letting him eat some of the nice new grass outside one of his pastures. Normally I’d see her fussing with her horse, but not mine. I parked the trick to find out there was trouble and my horse was upset. Nibbling on fresh grass usually calms him down.

Remember last week when I posted about the chickens laying eggs in his food trough, well I guess he was in his stall when a couple chickens started squabbling. He got spooked by all the noise and dashed from his stall out to the corral and stepped on a chicken in the process. One Silver Laced Wyandotte was killed.

I know it was a freak accident, but I think it’s time I put up chicken wire around the corral to keep the hens out of the horse stalls.

5 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

I dunno... you may have a bigger problem. I've heard it said once a horse gets a taste for killing chickens, they're never the same again. But that's just what I've heard.

6:32 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

DUKE, THE SLAYER OF CHICKENS.

6:40 AM  
Blogger richpix said...

Obviously your horse has been corrupted by listening to country music, such as And the Horse They Rode in On which includes the song, "Chicken Stomp."

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will never let my husband see this blog entry. He's already sure that someday horses will figure out how big they are and how much easier life would be as carnivores. He will pet one but not happily and only if separated by a sturdy fence.

If I tell him they are actively killing small animals he'll take it as proof for his theory.

columbiacritter

6:32 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Now Duke knows how I feel when I run over a frog hopping across the road on a rainy night.

6:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home