Friday, February 19, 2010

Stars


One can easily be amazed by how often the symbol of the star is used. Star symbols range from three to eight pointed stars. More than eight points are often seen as the Sun.

Many country flags use stars; the USA using 50 stars probably has the most. Stars are also use in state flags like Alaska and Texas, the Lone Star State. A star is a symbol of Islam faith, the crescent moon and a star. The Jews have the hexagram six pointed Star of David and Christian have the Star of Bethlehem.

Communism uses the Red Star as their symbol. Walmart used to use a star between the Wal and Mart, but have since changed it to one word followed by an asterisk. Subaru used the stars of Orion’s Belt as their logo. Starbucks uses a star. Proctor and Gamble uses stars in their logo. There are stars in Lucky Charms. There are a lot of songs about stars and there are a lot of film that use stars in their titles. Famous people are called stars. There is the Energy Star. There are newspapars and magazines called the Star. The Pentagram is the symbol of the occult. Many police departments use the star as a badge.

With all the stars that are being use one would think we’d get tired of seeing them, but the star is different than other symbols I have become tired of the use of Uncle Sam and the Statue of Liberty. I’m sick of orcas, salmon and polar bears, but the star is something else. It is the king of all symbols that I never get sick of seeing.

6 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Stars are a symbol of hope - something beyond ourselves, our petty lives - may their magic and meaning always inspire us.

5:07 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Like the man said "My god, it's full of stars!" Just so I could make my obscure movie reference of the day.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Shelly Rayedeane said...

My fondest memory of stars is when I was a little kid and would be happy when I got the gold star because I did a good job. Then I would take all the left over unused stars and stick them to my cheeks.

Symbolism is very important to me. The other day, I was at the diet clinic and the doctor was putting up a fleur-de-lis ornament on the wall.

I don't know what it is about that damn fleur-de-lis.

It follows me everywhere.

11:47 AM  
Blogger g said...

And lets not forget the greatest NFL football team - Dallas Cowboys!

8:09 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, to quote a Canadian, "We are stardust..."

Darev, obscure? Where's it from?

Shelly,I have a pack of those stars with gold, silver, green and red on each sheet. I agree about fleur-de-lis, however it could be worse, Kokopelli...nuff said.

g, forget? considering I've never watched a football game in my entire life I wouldn't even think of elevating a team to stardom.

5:53 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Not an obscure movie per se.... 2001. But an obscure reference. Most people don't remember the line.

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home