Friday, April 02, 2010

Bunny


I guess there are enough predators here on the coastal region of Oregon that the rabbits tend to keep a real low profile. I notice the lack of rabbits every year as Easter arrives. I know Eastern Oregon has big problems with Jack Rabbits, but I rarely ever see a hare out here. I have seen some tracks in the snow on the upper portions or my property, but it’s nothing like the rabbit presence I had on the east coast.

When driving through the suburbs in New Jersey at night one will see rabbits scurrying all over as your headlight beams cross someone’s lawn. Having had pet rabbits one quickly learns how destructive they are they will dig through and chew and eat just about everything. Gardeners back east fence their gardens or run a low slung electric fence to keep rabbits out. However it is odd how little damage the wild hares do to property. I’ve had more damage from moles, rats and birds than I’ve ever had from wild rabbits.

It is rare that I ever see a road side rabbit. There is a couple I occasionally see when I drive by Fort Clatsop. There is a couple I see over at a neighbor’s house. I see them rarely enough to make a rabbit sighting special to me. I rarely see coyotes and they are special, too, though rabbits are quiet neighbors, and I hear coyotes nightly. I probably hear them after they score a bunny for dinner.

7 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

I see rabbits all the time here. Almost any given night I can walk out back and startle one up. They are plentiful enough around here that there are probably a couple of dozen people at work who talk about going rabbit hunting all of the time. And I'd probably find at least once a week that the dogs had dismantled one in the back yard. Bleagh.

5:23 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

One pill makes you larger and one pill makes you small and the ones that mother gives you don't do anything at all.

6:24 AM  
Blogger mark said...

Want to see rabbits? Arch Cape, Surf Pines, Fort Stevens State Park: these places always seem to have plenty. My experience with coyotes is the same as yours: not often seen, but they're abundant around here. The shyest are cougars. I heard one once; I saw fresh tracks another time; but I've never seen a cougar in the wild.

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had rabbits running around when we bought the place, but owning greyhounds pretty much clears out the bunnies. The neighbors say most of the rabbits are from the previous owners of our place who used to let their pets loose when they got tired of them.

6:41 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, dogs are such predators. It's a wonder they don't kill more people.

Auntie, that's a White Rabbit.

Mark, I've only seen one cougar by the old transfer station in Seaside about 20 years ago. It was quite a sight. With one bound it jumped from the high bank beside the road to the center of the road and with another bound it jumped up the bank on the other side and then it was gone.

Critter, That is what greyhounds are taught to chase.

5:45 AM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

Plus bunnies don't dig under your hen house.

11:58 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

It would be a good safe spot for them.

5:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home