Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Traffic


I think I’ve mention before one of the reasons I move out here was because my home town became too crowded. Roads that were originally used for horse and buggy traffic had been widened for modern traffic, but some roads can’t be widened enough for the volume of traffic that seems to grow every year.

I just got a little taste the traffic nastiness last week. Many of you may be aware that the Old Youngs Bay Bridge is closed until June 20th. This means that all the traffic has to go over the new bridge and take the left turn at the light just passed Fred Meyer.

Last Friday I had to wait through 4 light signal cycles to make that left turn. It reminded me of New Jersey and what is in store for our future as this area keeps growing. Traffic has even increased at my house over the last two years. We used to see one car go by every half hour or so, The other day I paid attention to how many cars went by in a half hour and found there are now 25. Maybe it’s getting time to move further out.

5 Comments:

Blogger weese said...

see...if you move away it just follows.
i really think the only answer is a little thinning of the herd.
you know...kinda like when the deer number too high they open hunting season.
just sayin'

5:02 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Amen, Weese! With habitable empty land getting so scarce, where are antisocial hermits like me supposed to go? Living in town is starting to make me claustrophobic.

5:27 AM  
Blogger MissKris said...

Maybe Alaska beckons?

5:39 AM  
Blogger mark said...

It's kinda cute that we call it the "New Youngs Bay Bridge" even though it's been there for something like 30 or 40 years. And we're all going to be using personal jet packs pretty soon so you can kiss those traffic problems goodbye.

8:12 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Weese, surprisingly there has been no such plague in America.

Darev, I see you and I subscribe to 0 population growth.

Kris, welcome back! Perhaps if Palin moves out I'd feel safer up there.

Mark, funny thing I was driving from Astoria today and there was not only a wreck on the bridge that they moved to the wider causeway, but to top it off there was a bridge lift. A double whammy with the only alternative a trip around the Youngs River Loop.

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home