Friday, July 23, 2010

The 50s


I was flipping through some magazines in a waiting room recently. The one that really caught my attention was a magazine called Reminisce. It is a nostalgia based publication with photos, illustrations and stories from the 20s through the 50s.

I am a child of the 50s and I’ve written often about the old days. I’m sure that along with me there are millions of Baby Boomers that think fondly of those times. I’m surprised that no one has taken advantage of this nostalgia craze by creating a 50’s theme park. I bet Disney could do a good job of recreating the era. It could be like a Colonial Williamsburg for Boomers that could be populated by characters in period costumes driving vintage cars and living in 50s style homes.

There are plenty of classic car and tractor shows. Shows and movies such as Happy Days, Grease, Pleasantville and Back to the Future really drew in the boomers that remember these times. Branson are you listening?

5 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

Branson has listened, and here's the thing: When you cater to a certain decade, eventually all the fans of that period die, and nobody else is interested. Fifteen years ago Moe Bandy and Mickey Gilley were big attractions down there; people my age fondly remembered them in their heydays and went to see them. Now each of them still has a once-a-day show, but it's in somebody else's theater.
Andy Williams still seems to be going strong, though, and I think he's in his 80's. But he had a much wider appeal.

4:10 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

They did a Patsy Cline show in one of the theaters down there one year. They decorated the lobby with all sorts of 50's stuff. Couches and chairs, kitchen tables, lamps, artwork, etc. The sign shop I worked for created these great big (4' across) replica 45 records with Patsy Cline labels, the Big Bopper, Richie Valens, etc to hang on the walls. Not too long ago I stopped at a used car lot down the road and they had a '67 Plymouth VIP 4-door in the lot. Fully restored. A real beauty. Big enough you would need harbor tugs to park it. Sweet! Alas, I couldn't afford it. (Sigh)

7:25 AM  
Blogger g said...

Branson is focused on space.

5:58 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, Maybe you will know this, but there is a live Mo Bandy album where Mo compliments his pedal steel player. Do you know which album it was? and which song? I've been looking for it for years.

Darev, Nostalgia = $

g, Golf is focused on space.

7:00 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

No I don't, Guy. But if Cliff and I get to attend another show of his, I'll ask him. He always waits around after the show to shake hands with his fans.

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home