Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Unnecessary?


I saw the product above on one of those Daily Deal sites. It looked like an intriguing deal for only $5, but I passed on it. This thing was marked down from $60 and it features an indoor thermometer, calendar, alarm clock with snooze and it will hold 60 digital photos and display them on a 1.5 inch screen.

I pondered why this product wasn’t a big seller; it does a lot of stuff, but maybe it was stuff that shouldn’t have been combined in the first place. For instance, if it were just an alarm clock with an indoor thermometer I probably would have purchased it. However by adding the digital picture frame to it moves it into a sentimental product area. When I think about it I don’t know any men that have a digital frame. Thinking further I don’t know any women that are all that into indoor temperature measurement.

Though this product is cute and would have had a real “Wow” factor fifteen years ago, today it reminds me of something akin to someone inventing a baseball mitt combined with a mascara applicator.

4 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

I wouldn't use one of those little digital frames, but when they start making them poster sized I'm all over that. Put in a usb port and maybe 10 gigs of memory and settings to change at different intervals? Oh yeah. Changeable art. Somebody get this done!

6:43 AM  
Blogger mark said...

Hmm. Maybe if you're really pressed for bedside table space? Otherise, I don't think so. Single-purpose tools almost always work better than their all-in-one counterparts. A Leatherman is well-designed and well-made, but an actual screwdriver is a better choice if you have to drive a bunch of screws.

8:17 AM  
Blogger g said...

I saw it too and it reminded me of something a material supplier would give me for free.

6:32 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, that's called a DVR with a monitor.

Mark, I agree, but having a nail puller on the back end of a hammer is pretty nifty.

g, at that price you may be getting some of them soon.

5:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home