Monday, July 12, 2010

Animal Sounds


One of the beautiful things about summer is the cycle of animal sounds. It seems that every morning is broken by the sound the Swanson’s Thrushes singing as dawn approaches. They are followed by a murder of crows. When they are finished the song birds come in an out through the day. The evening closes the same way. After the song birds become quiet, the crows will continue until the Swanson Thrushes finish the day.

It is the evening when the coyotes begin the night sounds. They howl seemingly from the same spot which brings to mind the concept that just because you can’t hear coyotes doesn’t mean they aren’t within ear shot. I’d be willing to bet there is always a coyote within ear shot where ever you may live in this county. When they get quiet our ears can focus on the sounds of the owls and frogs and the other creatures that populate our audio ranges after dark.

I feel quite entertained with all the vocalizations that I am privileged to hear as it is now possible to sleep with an opened window.

5 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

I'd love to live somewhere without traffic noise 24/7. I used to get the giggles out on the rec yard at work on these fairly quiet nights. When the coyotes started yipping some of the most "hardcore" inmates would start freaking out. And if anybody saw a bat fly over several of them would get hysterics. Hee hee hee! City folk.

6:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has been so screamin hot (and humid), that I have had the airconditioning on. I started turning it off in the bedroom at night so I could open the windows. I really missed the night sounds and the birds in the morning. I'm really hot by morning, but it's worth it.

1:50 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, I'm sure you can laugh and not be frightened of bats since cornfields and horses set you off.

Anon, I do not miss the heat and humidity of the East Coast. If we have a hot day here it nearly goes back to the 60s as soon as the sun sets.

5:25 AM  
Blogger Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

Oh, don't tell 'em about the bats, as Hunter Thompson knew all too well...

7:28 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I know them well, too.

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home