Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Wind in the Coast Range


One strange thing in the Coast Range is the wind. You can be in the wilderness where the air is still, but you can hear the wind coming in the distance. It comes through distant trees and you can see them moving. Eventually the wind reaches you and it blows for a while and then it stops and the air is again stilled. Then you can hear the wind coming from a different direction.

I experienced this shifting wind time and time again last week. One benefit was that you knew well in advance where to place your chair to avoid smoke from the camp fire.

9 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

The secret is to never sit next to me at the campfire. The smoke follows me wherever I go.

6:52 AM  
Anonymous Joni said...

I always heard "smoke follows beauty".

Whenever I'm at a campfire, it really is amazing how it continually changes direction, even if there's a slight constant breeze. I'm sure it's because fire creates its own wind, so whichever part of the fire is burning largest, the wind will be coming from that direction.

5:56 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

What I hate is being down wind from a slash burn for several days.

5:21 AM  
Blogger g said...

I remember the days when I used to deer and elk hunt up in the range. I loved walking into the wilderness late in the afternoon and just sitting near a clear cut and listening to the wind and the ravens. It reminds me it's been a lot of years since I have experienced this and need to do it. Maybe this year.

7:06 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Be sure to bring your GPS.

5:21 AM  
Blogger g said...

We didn't have GPS back then! I'll probably visit somewhere familiar. I got lost once in the Jewell area for about 6 hours chasing an elk herd. The guys who picked me up couldn't figure out how I got where I did on foot. I told them a person can cover a lot of ground in 6 hours.

6:35 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Up to about 20 miles and elk can do about 40 miles.

5:14 AM  
Blogger Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

cool photo--is it an 'art installation' somewhere?

7:27 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Must be, I just don't know where. I just found the photo.

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home