Friday, July 09, 2010

Pump It Up


I’m sure we all have a list of things we did and experienced that the youth of today can not relate to. That is if you are over the age of 25. We have all worked with things that are now obsolete, like phonograph records, 8 track tapes, carbon paper, type writers…

One item I came upon last week falls into this category. This was a hand pump for water. I liked everything about it. The weight and the balance of the pump arm, the way it squeaked depending upon the direction and the force used. I liked the sporadic volume of water it produced depending on the stroke. I had to pump it four or five times before the first drop of water made it to the spigot. The water was clear and it was cold as the earth.

It isn’t easy pumping four gallons of water, but it is rewarding. However after doing so one can see why windmills were invented. It’s nice letting the wind do all the work.

Hand pumping water can easily make one realize how precious water is and how much we waste on a daily basis by leaving the faucets on while we brush out teeth, unnecessary toilet flushing, over filling and over-watering. I am pleased that I use so much rain water around our place. Considering how much water horses drink, I only have to use city water for them from July through September. The rest of the year they drink the runoff from the roof. I plan to use runoff for the chickens soon, too.

If you ever go camping somewhere with the kids and you find a hand pump, make it their job to get the water. It will do them some good in both the physical aspect of it and also in the conservation aspect.

4 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

I love the simplicity of a hand pump. I wouldn't want one around while I took a shower, tho. Rustic simplicity and creature comforts will forever be distant relations.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

We got our water from a hand pump until I was 12 years old and we moved to the city. It was my job to fill the water bucket in the kitchen when it was almost empty.

2:25 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, you wouldn't want to shower in water that cold.

Donna, and see how good you turned out? That is a perfect chore for a child, that is when they are big enough to lift a bucket of water.

6:50 AM  
Blogger Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

Wonderful invention and simple, too. I remember staying in campgrounds with pumps, loved the fun in getting the water, but then it wasn't 40 below and gale force winds when we did it, lol. Of course, I can't see one without thinking...'and the pump don't work cuz the vandals took the handle'...still waiting for your Neil Young yarn, too

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home