Sunday, July 25, 2010

Comedy


I’m taking some time off from listening to music, though I still do have things to listen to on iTunes Radio. I’m hooked on a couple of their uncensored comedy stations. Not only have I been catching up on newer comics I’ve never heard of, but I’m getting the funny side of normal situations.

One thing that continually amazes me is just how long the comedy sets are. Some of these comedians go on for ninety minutes or two hours. It is one thing to stand on stage and do all these bits for that amount of time and it’s another thing to remember all the bits you need to remember to carry a show for two hours.

More amazing to me is to write the volume of comedy that will last two hours on stage. After seeing some of the skits I’ve written a friend asked me to write a One Woman Comedy show for her. I wrote like mad for several months and when I figured I had enough material I did a read through. I had only 45-minutes of content. I had hit a wall and ran out of ideas. I wouldn’t be able to produce another ninety minutes if my life depended on it.

Eventually nothing went to waste. I used some of the material in other skits and the rest landed here on the Blog. My hat goes off to the comics that can produce long content and keep it fresh.

3 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

I figure it's the same challenge for comic strip writers and daily bloggers. How many people have asked you "How do you come up with something new seven days a week?" If I didn't work around two thousand idiots, I would have run out of things to say quite some time ago. And I assume it's also the same for authors. You have got to have the right ratio of good stuff to filler. I can't ever seem to get that right. I can sum up the entire story in one paragraph, then end up with a conversation that takes a whole chapter. Darn brain!

7:22 AM  
Blogger tapirgal said...

Thanks for elucidating the metal thing. What better guy to do it than Mr. Rust. I actually did grow up on a farm, but the fruit trees didn't eat from feeders.

10:18 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, I sweat I'm running out of material.

Tapirgal, It's funny how ag equipment is often very specific without a multi-use. The piece in your photo was made so cattle or cows would eat with their heads in the feeder in stead of dragging it to the ground and trampling it. Notice the bars where the cows put their head in is angled to make it a bit more difficult to grab hay and pull their heads out.

5:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home