Saturday, July 24, 2010

Compostable Packaging


We invited some neighbors over for beer, chips and a camp fire last weekend. Not knowing what sort of chips they liked I bought corn chips for salsa, potato chips and in the event they had a healthier chip in mind I also picked up a bag of sun chips. Immediately upon picking up the Sun Chips I noticed the bag was really loud and crinkly when handled. It was so loud I nearly put it back on the shelf out of embarrassment.

When I got home my wife read the package and she told me the Sun Chips package is compostable. It totally looks like normal plastic, even the inside looks like foil, but it is totally compostable. I checked out their web site and I’m totally impressed. Check it out
Sun Chips Web Site

As for the bag being louder to handle, here is the explanation, “…plant-based materials have different sound properties than the materials used to create our old bags. So although this version is a little bit louder, we hope you'll appreciate the change and the positive environmental impact it will have.”

4 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

I'm a "fan" of Sun Chips on Facebook (the only chips we buy, and mainly to divide up for Cliff's lunch at work). I've seen people say they stopped buying them because of the noisy bags. Seriously!

4:18 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

You can't sneak a handful of sunchips in the middle of the night. And no matter where I am in the house, and even some places in the yard, I can tell when the wife is having chips. The chips are good, compostable is good, the noise is irritating.

8:53 AM  
Blogger g said...

I would be concerned about noise pollution.

9:55 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, I was taken back by the noisy bag as well, but I'm now on my second bag. The first bag is in the composter.

Darev, you could transfer them to another container.

g, A man in the construction field concerned with noise? I think not.

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home