Friday, October 29, 2010

Hacked, Again


It appears my debit card has been hacked again for the second time this year. Last time it was my card and this time it was my wife’s card.

I check my banking stuff on-line at least twice a week and I know when something isn’t right. Earlier this year I got a $39 monthly charge from some company I’ve never heard of. My attempts to contact them on the phone and via email was unsuccessful for five business days, so I got Visa involved and my money was refunded.

This time there was a charge for $4.96 to an online game purchasing site. I contacted the company immediately and they got back to me right away. We came to find it was my wife’s card that was used and they gave the IP address and the email address of the person that purchased the game. I did a search and found the IP is from Florida. I can’t even imagine the shit storm that is going to come down on this kid over a $4.96 fraudulent charge. Maybe nothing will happen, but I can hope he is inconvenienced for at least the amount of time it takes us to get a new card.

9 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

We just recently got debit cards, and now I'm almost afraid to use them. How can someone hack them? Do you use yours online?

4:04 AM  
Anonymous Aunteeeeee said...

I think you should use his email, find a photo and post it on here. lol

5:44 AM  
Blogger mark said...

Never had this problem (knock on wood); but it makes me yearn at least a little bit for the days when we conducted business with cash and checks. Of course, NSF checks are (almost) a thing of the past thanks, in part, to credit and debit cards.

8:56 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

After our last little expenditure that we are still fighting, I am going to get a prepaid card and put money on it with cash only when I need to buy something online. Leave nothing but a few dollars on it at best. Rotten kids...

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a credit card stolen but the thief used the card much more frugally and wisely than I ever did so I didn't report it...

Moose

6:10 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, We don't use the debit card often. Online companies are usually ones we deal with often, nothing shady. We use it to buy fuel. We haven't a clue of where they could have gotten it. Also we use paypal when ever possible.

Auntie, I'd rather it be a surprise when Visa fraud division contacts him.

Mark, it's surprising more fraud doesn't happen with checks.

Darev, you'll soon be seeing them professionally.

Moose, bad, very bad...

8:35 AM  
Blogger Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

Last year my debit card got hacked twice...I swear it was after I used it at a local chinese take away...one charge was to a place that 'rents' out luxury purses--oh yeah, that's me. The other was to some computer place in the Netherlands...hell, I am just glad when mine turns on in the morning...I wouldn't know what to do with 'software or hardware'...

My bank was great, I actually got a live person on the phone and they fixed everything...

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Debbie F said...

Where in Florida? I live in FL and my card got hacked...I used it at several restaurants lately...chinese, pizza, etc. I'd love to know who took it.. They tried to buy over $300 worth of games on a gaming sit.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Guy said...

Debbie, I don't remember, that was a year ago and I've been hacked once again since. This time it was in Spain, and I had only used the card twice. Rat bastards!

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home