Sunday, December 05, 2010

Finally Finished


I am finally finished with all my leadership roles in several different organizations. I started to no longer pursue extending any obligations in a leadership capacity to one organization two years ago and I gave up maintaining a website for that organization at the same time. This left me with one organization to shepherd along, but tonight I finished my final duties and handed to roll onto to someone else.

Though the leadership was the easy part since I had very dedicated people doing all that needed to be done on the ground; the main frustration was that it was hare to find new blood to step into leadership roles. Finally people who really enjoy the things we do saw it was time to take it to the next level and fill all the official positions for a one year commitment.

My relief is that I no longer have to travel to state board meetings. I no longer have to find meeting locations or mediate squabbles. I really enjoy the word "Shepherd" that I used in the first paragraph of this post. My position was that of a shepherd and my joy now is that I can return to being a sheep.

6 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

Some of the best leaders I have ever worked under were those who really didn't want the job. But they were the best one's for it. Funny how that works, eh?

6:31 AM  
Anonymous Ann Samuelson said...

I appreciate this story, I now serve on just one board, and plan to end my service there after one more year. Leadership is a constant learning process, an important part of that learning curve is taking care of ones self in the process. Replacing leadership positions with those that have the skillset and are the most open to learning is a tough one anymore, particularly locally I think. For a commmunity to be whole there are components that must be in place, i.e. a reliable consistent news source so that the real and true stories about their community can be told, thus they are informed. Thanks for this post, the future of leadership is a conversation people need to be having....

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Papa said...

I also appreciate your story. Thank you for the time you have spent trying to make the community
a better place.
The time I have served as a board chair has been a learning experience I hope I have laid the ground work for thier sucess.

Papa

7:01 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, I took the positions because no one else was willing to do it. One lasted over five years and the other two and a half years.

Ann, having seen you in action I appreciate how much time you put into all the things you were passionate about. Add to that the few times I've had the opportunity to meet you face to face, I found you to have a great sense of humor, really one of the funniest people I know and you are very tuned in.

Papa, I found that you are a man that always found a way to say "Yes, that can be done!" Add to that your generosity of supporting causes and I'll never forget the time you gave one of the Rust readers tickets so their family could go to the Fair. I hope you can rejoin this community one day.

5:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is so much "I" on this site that I shake my head. Is there anyone out there that thinks of anyone other than themselves?

12:03 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Anon, considering that each "I" is the center of the universe and the time we have is finite, why not think of ourselves in a possessive way. After all, that's the basis and the core of our relationship to the outside world.

4:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home