Friday, December 03, 2010

Pet Names For Money


I’ve been listening to all the audio books by James Herriot that I have on my MP3 player. My player plugs into the stereo in my truck. It’s much better than listening to radio blather.

Herriot, I’m sure you will remember was the author of all the All Creatures Great and Small series, which are the tales of a country Veterinary Surgeon in the 30’s and 40’s. Though I am familiar with many of the ailments, maladies and animal personalities of which he writes and I am totally confused when ever he talks of English currency and the payments that people are offering him. I decided to look it up and here’s how it all works.

Let’s say is a whole object instead of converting it to US Currency where it ends up being 1 and a half times what the face value is.

Like US currency there are 100 Pence or Pee to the pound. Their coin range is 1 penny, 2 pence, 5 pence, 10 pence, 20 pence, 50 pence, 1 pound, and 2 pounds. Paper currency is (Quid) 5 pound note, the 10 pound note, the 20 pound note and the 50 pound note.

Converting the Old currency to the new:
• Six pence - 2½p
• One shilling (or 'bob') - 5p
• Half a crown (2 shillings and sixpence) - 12½p
• One guinea - £1.05

I can understand how one might from another country could be confused with our US system and slang we have for our money. We have: Cents, Penny, Nickel, Dime, Quarter, Green Backs, Bucks, Fin, Saw Buck, a Hamilton, a Grant a C-Note, Grand, Big and I’m sure I’m missing a few in my list. If you ever think that Americans aren’t folksy about our currency, we could easily out-shine the Brits when it comes to our money.

6 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

I LOVE James Herriot, have read all his books. I was shocked when I learned that's only a pen name. I always remember the story about the rich lady's dog that farted all the time so she gave it to the gardener *I think) who had no sense of smell.

4:33 AM  
Blogger mark said...

I'll bet you two bits you forgot some US currency slang.

8:03 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Yeah, I'll bet ten large to a century there's a few that got missed.

8:12 AM  
Anonymous dalia said...

I'm a Canuck!

Can't forget

Loonies
Toonies

7:42 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, he has other gaseous stories like the time al the gas came out of a cow when a farmer lit his pipe and nearly burned down the barn.

Mark and Darev, I'll bet ten farthings you're right.

Dalia, isn't there any slang for the rest of your currency? I don't seen to recall any.

5:55 AM  
Anonymous dalia said...

Sadly, no. We're pretty un-funny when it comes to our money.

1:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home