Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Updates


My truck is finished. I have a great shop I take it to that gets me right in and right out. There is another shop that people tell me is great, but they are always booked out at least two weeks ahead. Who can put up with that?

I have a hen I'm concerned about. It's a Rhode Island Red that was spry yesterday morning, but last night I she stood by the coop while all the other chickens were already inside. I picked her up, which is somethings my hens don't allow me to do during the day. There were no signs of injury, she just wasn't right. Today she stood in the coop all day facing the wall. I put a heat lamp in the coop to keep her warm, but I don't think she'll be with us much longer. The molting hens are doing well but this fully plumed hen isn't.

I removed the final tomatoes from the greenhouse today. They were cold but not frozen. I will have a couple final tomato sandwiches of the year over the next few days.

When we thaw out this weekend it will be time to transplant some trees. I want to live in a forest again one day where I can't see the road or the houses of neighbors.

8 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

Would you believe we STILL have a few garden tomatoes? I picked them before the first freeze and brought them in; some have rotted, but some have ripened just fine.

4:50 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Yesterday was in the mid 60's. The day before was almost 70. Tomorrow we are getting freezing rain turning to snow. Go figure. Winter comes stomping in like a pissed off teenager.

4:52 AM  
Anonymous auntie said...

its been in the bloody 20s the last 2 days, how can you have tomatoes that aren't frozen?

6:05 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Noooo.....Get it in gear, chicken! Maybe she's just depressed. Yeah. That'll make me feel better...

1:47 PM  
Blogger dalia said...

I feel bad for your hen. :(
garden tomato sandwiches are the best.

10:42 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, I find they will taste good as long as you don't refrigerate them after picking.

Darev, Just wait till you see what we are sending your way.

Auntie, they are in the green house.
I've kept them going in there as late as January 21 one year.

Amy and Dalia, she died yesterday and the ground is too frozen to bury her.

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Egg bound? How's her abdomen feel?

I've saved a few by sitting them in a warm tub of water and /or vaseline up the old egg shoot. I've also lost one to internal laying.

8:59 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

She died, and I'm not up to doing a necropsy, though I should.

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home