Friday, November 19, 2010

It's Time


I keep my eye on the weather forecasts diligently at this time of year. It's great when we have a dry spell where I can let the horses out to run around. Even when it's dry the horses still come in muddy at the end of the day. I have to hose off their legs but I don't hose off their bodies because it is too cold and they will chill. It's really important to keep their feet and legs clean because they can develop all sorts of conditions such as thrush and scratches.

Dirt on their bodies can turn into rain rot if they get wet so I try to seize any opportunity to brush them when they are dry. I will get a big hand this weekend. It is supposed to get cold around here on Sunday so I plan to clean them up to the best of my ability and put their blankets on. It keeps them warm, dry and clean. Somehow it even makes them shine. When we get a warm spell I'll take them off and the theirs coats will be soft and shinny, but it won't be long before they find some mud to roll in.

4 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

It's amazing how critters of any sort can find a muddy patch without any hesitation at all. You could swear the whole yard was dry, but they will find a way to come home covered in mud.

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mud is a byproduct of horse ownership. They make it, they play in it, even eat it!!!
Ugh.
I am down to two horses and much happer = less mud.
That being said, you know what I love to control the rain rot thing, or the no-water version of a full bath?
A Double-K Vac N Blo and a bottle of Show N Sheen, Cowboy Magic or some other such thing.
That Vac N Blo gets all the gross stuff out of their coats, dries it (if it's wet), and the Cowboy Magic shinies it up while repelling the next round of grub n roll.
One word of caution might be to suit up in a "clean suit/coveralls" because that scurf flies EVERY which where!

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh. And YOU will probably need a bath, too, afterward.

1:49 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, that's why I like cats

NW, I've never tried the Double K. Cowboy magic is expensive, but it is worth the price and it even smells good. One thing I wish I had is a horse crazy daughter or grand daughter. One that would love to spend countless hours grooming our two.

6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home