Saturday, November 13, 2010

A Belt


I bought a new belt yesterday. I always think of my father when ever I buy a belt. He was a kind man and never critical. Any time he pointed out something wrong he did it without malice.

He was in the hospital the last time I was in New Jersey. Back then my presentation wasn't as casual as it is today. I used to actually dress up. On one visit he got me aside and kindly told me that I needed a new belt. I looked down and I immediately agreed; my belt looked like shit. I was wearing nice clothing and the absolute center of my attire was a disaster. I think I left the hospital visit and went directly to Macy's.

A belt is often like so many other things that degrade and you don't notice it until there is a failure. That belt was in tatters and I wonder how long I would have continued wearing it.

Since then I am more conscious about my belts. I replace them long before a replacement is needed. I thank my father for that final installation into making me a real adult.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Auntie said...

wardrobe malfunction. I'd LOVE to see a photo of you in a monkey suit. If you still have any laying around, bring one to work!

6:31 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I've been a fashion disaster all of my life. I actually started the whole "grunge" thing years ago, but I don't get the credit for it.

7:50 AM  
Blogger Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

and I want to know why women's belts are like 3 x the cost of men's and when I look for something cheap in TJMaxx's womens dept all I find is well, hooker wear and in the men's dept...decent stuff...I just bought 2 men's belts, am I bi?

6:26 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Auntie, I doubt you'll ever see it.

Darev, grunge is still big out here, except it's not a statement, it's real.

Teri, you have cats so you may have gone past bi ; ) Do you drive a Subaru?

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home