Thursday, November 04, 2010

Old Horses and New Tricks


I was talking with someone today when my cell phone made this weird noise. I figured my battery had died, but then I realized that it had a full charge because I just charged it this morning. The noise was worth investigation. The screen showed I had several voice messages and and a couple of text messages.

One thing you need to know about me is that I use my cell phone to make calls only. I don't transfer data, take photos, text or obviously check for messages. I use none of the many features on my phone except for making or receiving calls.

The voice mails were from August and September. The text that I had just arrived was from a number I didn't recognize. It was a message relevant to an organization I'm involved with and it was important news. Being I couldn't figure who had sent it I figured I needed to reply so I stumbled around for about ten minutes trying to figure out how to do a reply. It was a thoughtful reply, but half way through I got a message the I exceeded the allowable characters. I erased it and started from scratch and was fortunate that the person who texted me called me on a real phone. I was saved from sending my first text.

I do realize that I have now left myself vulnerable for a lot of phone hi-jinx from those of you that know my cell number, but the joke will be on you because I never check for messages. Consider that you may be leaving a time capsule.

6 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

That is exactly how Cliff and I are; we do not check messages. We only use our cell phones for talking, and I do very little of that!

5:25 AM  
Anonymous Auntie said...

GAME ON!

(was one of those an old work related message I left for you?)

6:25 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Ah well. You're lucky I no longer have a phone at all. I could have weaseled your number out of somebody. At least here I use complete words and sentences.

7:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find texting convienient, particularly when you know someone is busy (at work/in class), and just want to ask a question or convey a fact. But the acronyms kill me... whole new language!

TTFN!

10:49 AM  
Blogger Trop said...

Texting is very convenient, especially with a teenager to keep track of. It's a nice way to connect with my wife during the workday too. I prefer it to talking on the phone. I HATE talking on the phone.

1:03 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, we are set in our ways.

Auntie, Don't know I deleted them all.

Darev only four people have my number and one of them forgets it.

Anon, I rarely find things that urgent.

Trop, I don't like the phone or texting.

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home