Monday, November 01, 2010

Sick Day XXXVII


I’m sick of the election. Though the election will be over tomorrow I feel as though I’ve been thoroughly assaulted. I am seriously considering removing my name from the voting register all together. There was a point where I could count on getting at least five calls every evening from polls, push polls, candidates, political parties, robo calls, measure advocates and detractors. When asked who I was voting for my simple answer was, “I’m voting for who ever doesn’t call me.” It came to the point where if the number on my caller ID wasn’t one I knew I just let it ring.

I have never been convinced to vote for or against a candidate or issue because of a phone call, a lawn sign, political mailing, TV or radio spot. I do read my voters guide thoroughly. If you want to convince me of the reason I should vote one particular way; that is where your money is best spent.

In a way elections are like Christmas. It is an economic feeding frenzy of vast proportions where money is spent on all sorts of crap that people don’t want and most of it ends up in land fill. The only ones who benefits are the printers and the media that sells ad time.

8 Comments:

Blogger qandlequeen said...

I completely agree. And the amount of money they raise to run their campaigns? Isn't most of it for advertising? Is it really necessary? Wouldn't that money be better spent... on ANYTHING else? Yeah, Tuesday can't come fast enough.

5:33 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

You think they spend money on advertising. What they want is for you to do it for free! I thought one year I would make a few extra dollars turning out political signs. But very few of them wanted to pay anything near what a reasonable price was and a few of their checks bounced. **sigh** I'm voting for the Lone Ranger again this year.

8:13 AM  
Blogger mark said...

Amen brother.

8:19 AM  
Blogger g said...

I voted conservative this year because I got a mailer that democrats voted in the law that allows calling and mailers.

I guess what I'm saying is the tools that are running these days have forgotten the message and worship the creeds.

I remain disenchanted with it all and hope they don't spend all of it.

I'm having a sick of politics day myself.

6:48 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Wouldn't it be nice if there were an option to leave a comment with each vote?

g, I was getting political phone calls and mail before I ever registered to vote when I first moved here. As with all mailers, they are fiction. You've been had.

5:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI. On the voter registration form there is a box to check for 'no party affiliation'. I get about 60% less calls now.

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can update your voter registration card and leave your phone number off. That way the political parties DON'T have your phone number.

8:11 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Very cool. I'm going to do that.

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home