Friday, November 12, 2010

The Bird and The Bee


When I get tired of what I've been listening to I spend some time at the college radio station of Texas A&M, KANM and you can hear it too via itunes radio stations. Within an hour I usually pick up a new sound that needs further exploration. This week I found The Bird and The Bee. Inara George ("the bird") and Greg Kurstin ("the bee") and their music is considered as Indie/Synthpop/Alternative music.

I was able to sample three albums in their collection. Reliant K wasn't worth the listen, but they got more interesting Interpreting the Masters Volume 1 where they put their impressions on the hit songs of Hall and Oats. It's kind of funny considering how bad those songs were, but they actually were able to make them sound better. Finally their album, Ray Guns Are Not Just the Future is very very good.

The more you listen you will begin to realize that they are sincere about their sense of humor even if the listeners don't get it. They seem to spoof not only Hall and Oats, but their sound is a lot like a spoof on the Carpenters, but spoofs aside they are not just noodling around like Weird Al; they have some serious sound ability like Nellie McKay.

The first video looks like the 60s, but it is really entertaining.
My Love

This second video is a spoof on a girl's crush on David Lee Roth Diamond Dave

It's some fun for a rainy fall day.

4 Comments:

Anonymous auntie said...

this is a Nellie McKay re-run, right?

8:00 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Wow. I laughed over "Diamond Dave". That was great. As a comparison, as I always do, I'd say that if the Eurythmics got some heavy therapy, they'd sound like that. Fun stuff. Gonna spend some more time looking and passing a few of those videos around.

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

College radio is a great way to find new music. Check out this map and playlist of the best college radio in the US: http://zoomout.in/college-radio-map

11:51 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Auntie, it's much more than that.

Darev, I'm glad to give you something to do.

Anon, thanks for the link. It's missing a lot of the college stations I listen to, but it's a good resource to introduce people to new radio.

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home