Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A Sea Change


I went for a beer with a friend last night. We went the the Fort George. I was amazed that I wasn't carded at the door for my membership card for the Democratic Party at the door. I was afraid they wouldn't let an Independent in the establishment.

We settled down for a beer as the worst Jazz Fusion music played loudly for our entire visit. We were still able to converse and we talked about horses and and other things. One bit of conversation we had was about how I have totally changed my beliefs on just about everything over the years. How I used to be a dog person and now I don't like them. How I never liked cats and now I do. Hoe I used to believe in God and now I am an Atheist. How I used to love Folk and Jazz and now I cant stand it, and so on.

She asked me if I felt as though I was now a different person. I pondered and answered by saying, "Lets say you were sailing from England to America in a wooden boat and during the voyage you replaced ever board on the boat with a new board. When you reach America is it still the same boat that you started the journey in?"

What do you readers have to say?

7 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

What was that old french saying? "The more things change, the more they stay the same." When I was young and idealistic I was also too trusting and naive. I supposed that I had matured and grown wiser yet I still get snookered now and then when i should know better. Have I changed? Yes. Am I still the same? Yes, unfortunately. I'm sure my last words will be "Really? Okay, let's do that."

5:58 AM  
Anonymous Auntie said...

you know what I have to say ? YOU WENT TO THE FORT GEORGE - YOU WONT EVEN GO THERE WITH ME *whining*

P.S. now that you don't drink anything but P.B.R, what in the world did you have there?

Butt-head!

6:22 AM  
Anonymous hans rust said...

great quote, can you take the credit?

7:28 AM  
Blogger mark said...

Alvin Toffler, the 1970s futurist, claimed that people were capable of adapting to a great deal of change, but that they usually held on to one unchanging trait or practice. My political views, my tastes in movies, music, food, and literature have certainly evolved. I've held on to a few unchanging core beliefs: a cold PBR always tastes good, and the music of Kenny G is always terrible.

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If God wanted man to have fiberglass boats He would'a made fiberglass trees.

11:43 AM  
Blogger g said...

Why make the past your sacred ground.

6:30 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, most people don't change, they just become bigger ones.

Auntie, the lightest thing they had. I did take a sip of the funky pumpkin and my eyes crossed.

Hans, no it isn't my idea, just something I picked up back in the 70s.

Mark, PBR? Really? Good to know I have a friend out there that understands.

Anon, sometimes willow cuts like fiber glass, but yes I like the feel of wooden boats, but the maintenance is a pain.

g, that can be a slogan to renew ones political life.

My brother wrote me with a story: One day a man handed his friend an old hatchet. The man looked at the hatchet for a bit, and then said, this is a mighty fine tool. The head has been replaced once, and the handle was replaced twice. It's been in our family for over 100 years.

6:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home