Saturday, November 06, 2010

Wax


One of the by-products of honey bees is wax. I've written about wax rendering recently and the photo above is the end product. In this photo there is about 25 pounds of wax. I rendered ten pounds this year and the other fifteen pounds is wax left over from previous years. The small octagonal ones in the foreground are generally one ounce ingots which I use to make balms and creams.

I have enough wax at this point where I need to consider getting some candle molds just to use it up.

One benefit to bees wax is the smell. It is remarkably beautiful and nearly as wonderful as the smell of a hive in August.

4 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

With all that wax, you could be a dental floss tycoon! Of course, that would work better in Montana.

Sorry, just having a Frank Zappa moment here. Carry on...

7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

Have you considered sand molds - nothing more to buy.

Back in the very old days people chewed on paraffin. Little commercial gum available. The best paraffin was from the tops of jelly jars because it was flavored.

How about packaging your bee wax and selling it as a healthy alternative to commercial chewing gum.

1:46 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, 25 pounds would go a long way in that business.

Anon, is the final product sandy? Paraffin is a petroleum product, but I do occasionally sell comb honey. I have only one slab left.

I do need to research other uses.

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right. Paraffin is a petroleum product. I thought chewing bee's wax might work. Never have done it, but it sounded tasty to me.

Candle sand molds do leave a fine layer of sand on the exterior. Popular during the 1960's I believe.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home