Monday, November 22, 2010

Worst Meal, Ever


When I got home from grocery shopping the other day I removed something from the bag that I didn't select. It was a package of four cube steaks. I first suspected I was a victim of "Shopping for Others", which is something I wrote about before. That is where you toss something into someones grocery cart when they aren't looking, usually to freak them out at the check out counter.

I looked at my receipt and there were no cube stakes to be found, so I suspect the person before me left the store without them and the checker put them in my cart.

I cooked them tonight and it was the most dawg awful piece of meat I've ever had. Now I know why they pound the crap out of it.

The other day Papa left a comment about increasing the protein in what I feed my chickens. They will be getting the remaining three cube steaks. I hope they turn them into some tasty eggs.

10 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

Cube steaks are like tofu or grits or turnips. You can eat them and they will fill your belly and keep you from starving to death, but is it really worth it?

7:09 AM  
Anonymous Papa said...

Hopefully they were not chickenfried

Papa

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How long has this shopping for others been a fad? Mom would always blame one of us kids when she found extra items at checkout. We may have been as innocent as the pure driven snow.

9:04 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, it would have been better ground up and stuck inside some hamburger.

Papa, no, though the chickens may be one day.

Anon, I think it gained maximum exposure with some movie from the 80s. I'm thinking it was Clerks, but maybe some other slacker movie.

5:24 AM  
Anonymous auntie said...

mmm, fried chicken.

6:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Their actually descent if you cook them with a good sauce in a pressure cooker for a long time. I had a room mate who cooked them like that pretty regularly. Course she also loved to eat canned green beans cold.

4:46 PM  
Blogger Rita said...

My daughter would have to disagree with Papa. When she was growing up, chicken fried steaks were one of her absolute favorites. Of course, how things are cooked and who is cooking can make a huge difference in how good something is or isn't. After the steaks were fried, I'd make gravy with the pan, minus some of the oil so it wouldn't be too greasy. Serve that up with some mashed potatoes and gravy and some corn and that was one meal I knew my girl would eat lots of. She had celiac disease, which went undiagnosed for 25 years, and anything with mashed potatoes seemed to be right up her alley, as opposed to pasta or sandwiches.
I know the person who was really trying to buy the cubed steak knows how to cook them so they are desirable!

7:35 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Rita, I do not have the culinary magic to make them good. Perhaps I will try them again someday if prepared by a master with comfort food.

5:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why didn't you give them to someone who lacked food. After all, they were free to you for your displeasure.

12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which store did you go to? I would appreciate some free food.

12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home