Friday, November 26, 2010

How Cold Changes Things


The cold spell has broken leaving behind so far only the death of one chicken. I sure the cold didn't kill it, but it didn't help. The ground is still too frozen for me to bury it.

A cold snap means changing routines around here. I had to turn off all the outdoor water lines. The horses water troughs freeze every night and I have to fill 5 gallon buckets in the house and fill them often. Horsed drink a lot of water and you don't want them to run out, ever. They are wearing their blankets. Every day I check them at feeding times. I reach under their blankets and feel how comfortable they are. They feel warm and comfortable. They could survive without the blankets, but if I can keep them warm they don't have to eat as much.

The chickens water freezes as well. Chickens consume a lot of water, so I bring them a couple gallons every morning and afternoon. I also put heat lamps in their coop.

Our cats normally spend the days outside, but even they strolled out for only moments before wanting to come back in.

I, too have little interest in going outdoors during a cold snap. I'm not doing much inside either. I do some writing and I watch TV and fill the rest of my time with long winter naps.

3 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

Whenever we get a real bad cold snap, something always breaks outside, making me spend hours out there. Keeping my fingers crossed.

6:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last year we got a couple frost free hydrant/faucet dealies that shut off the water a foot down in the ground. $25 a pop at Grovers. So far so good.

9:27 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, here I wait until the thaw, or better yet summer to fix stuff. That is unless a roof blows off.

Anon, I haven't heard of this device. Right now I just turn the water foo at the house that feeds all my out side lines.

6:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home