Monday, November 29, 2010

Dig It


Maybe it a boy thing, but there is something quite mysterious about what is under the ground that boys can't resist. Take a boy to the beach and he'll dig. Boys love sand boxes. I don't think girls are all that into it, but boys are for sure.

I don't know if we think there is something valuable waiting to be found, or if we will discover a lost civilization in caves, or if we were seeking a direct route to China. I don't know what it was for me, I just loved digging.

I recall getting a sand box when I was four years old and it was a disaster. I really enjoyed it for a day or so, but one day I went out and some wasps had dug in a nest and they boiled out and stung the crap out of me. Then the next day my mother saw a cat crapping in the sand box and that was the last time I ever saw it.

I've done a lot of hand digging around here. I've cut trails, leveled ground for out buildings, dug trenches for drainage tiles, cut sod for gardens, dug post holes, shoveled many yards of sand, top soil, crushed stone. I've dug out stumps, Ive dug the silt out of a pond and I even dug the foundation for the last addition I built on the house. I wish I had bought a back hoe when I first moved here, but I still don't see one in my future.

Sadly, I still see a lot of digging in my future. I just wish it was a gratifying as it was when I was a kid.

4 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

There's just something satisfying to the male soul about sticking a shovel in the ground and digging a hole. I don't know what it's all about, but I'd love to see a study done on it. I finally got over it when we moved to Branson and there's nothing under the ground but solid rock. You have to use a core drill to make any kind of hole down there. Pfui.

5:55 AM  
Blogger g said...

From the time I was 14 until 22, I had a shovel in my hand. I've dug. My last adventure in digging involved a 1' wide by 18" deep hole for my grapes a month ago or so. Digging is never done.

7:16 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, Men can't resist a hole.

g, grapes eh? Good luck. I've had great foliage, but the grapes only get to be the size of bbs. I hope the Brownsmead climate is better suited.

5:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a reported ship wreck treasure near Neahkanhnie Mt.

12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home