Saturday, December 11, 2010

Minimalism, Part 4 of 4


La Monte Young is known as the Father of Minimalist Music. Though most people deeply into minimalism have never heard of La Monte. His recordings are numerous, but don't expect to find them at your favorite music store. You can find some of his works on compilation albums, but his original albums sell for hundreds of dollars.

When I first entered the world of minimalism, people in my circle referred to La Monte's music as "Dueling vacuum cleaners", "Angry bees" or "Damn, those are some squeaky breaks." La Monte's stuff is hard to take even for those are well seasoned Minimalist enthusiasts who appreciate what he does.

Mark Twain once said this about Wagner and I'll switch it to the La Monte's music. "La Monte Young's music is really much better than it sounds."

If you dare to have a taste click on the link.La Monte Young

4 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

I guess when it comes right down to it, I enjoy music I can tap my foot to and not need a PHD to understand.

7:45 AM  
Blogger mark said...

I don't know if Edgar Varèse is a minimalist, but he's sometimes associated with LaMonte Young; maybe just because they're both modern composers. Or maybe, as darev says, neither of them compose toe-tapping music.

9:57 AM  
Blogger richpix said...

Speaking of BEES

12:58 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, sometimes it's fun to do things that are outside of that which is considered normal.

Varese and Cage were usually considered Experimental musicians. Varese was who inspired Frank Zappa and Zappa's orchestral pieces sound very much like Edgar's pieces.

Rich, I use similar photos in my class that Cornell did years ago, and they also have some that show what is seen through a compound eye. Thanks for the link.

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home