Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Disappearing Hens


Every evening when I coop the chickens I take careful count to make sure all are present. If one is missing I lock up them up and search for the missing one or ones. Sometimes they are stuck somewhere and other times they are hunkered down somewhere and reappear the next morning. However last month there was a missing RI Red one night and she didn't reappear the next morning or ever again. Last week a Barred Rock went missing and hasn't returned. Normally when they are killed by an animal there are feathers strewn about. Even a hawk or an eagle will leave some feathers behind.

I do suspect a neighbor's dog. The jerk has two Labradors that have never been contained. Time to heat up the bottom wire on the charger to disintegrate dog flesh.

7 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

I did once see a coyote grab a grown goose and take off with it squawking, leaving very few feathers behind.

4:06 AM  
Blogger Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

Hot wire will work on any critter...it doesn't discrimate...good luck in foiling the marauders. And irresponsible pet owners fry me, too!

5:52 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

The next viral video on YouTube will be "Disintegrating Dog Flesh" and their hit single "Heating up the bottom wire". It will be a sensation.

7:47 AM  
Anonymous papa said...

If you really want to get their
attention take strips of aluminum
foil or alum. pie plate coat with
peanut butter and hang on the fence
nothing beats a baited fence

papa

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Uncle Walt said...

I've often thought of keeping dog treats in my vehicle to coax stray dogs with ... then turn them over to the humane society. Let the owner pay to get them back, as well as proving all their shots are up to date and that they have a license.

"fuleakin" ... what ya find on ol' rusty trucks.

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My neighbors dogs tried for my chickens once....................

7:03 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna' it's just odd. The chickens are out every day and I'm only losing one each month. One would figure a predator would return every day for a meal.

Teri, and I'm too responsible to use deadly force.

Darev, I'm sure that's what Moose does in his spare time.

Papa, that's the spirit! Best idea I've heard yet!

Walt, good one, too. But I bet it wouldn't change the owners behavior one bit.

Critter, who knows what happens when you aren't there.

5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home