Sunday, February 06, 2011

How Inappropriate Are We Still


Though no one, or shall I say few ever wear fir these days you still have no problem finding snake skin, or lizard skin bags and foot wear. Leather is usually considered OK because cattle are raised to be eaten and their hides are a byproduct of the industry. The same goes for alligator, but I can’t see a farm for snake and lizards where they use 100% of the animal. However no one other than PETA seems to complain about the killing of these animals.

As for what we once called Beauty Pageants; they are now called Scholarship Pageants. Thought the though of pageants that objectify women disgusts rational people, burlesque and strip clubs are still going strong. There are classes in pole dancing at exercise clubs. I suppose objectification is OK if you can rationalize it.

If you really miss the muscle cars, fear not because they’ve been replaced with big trucks. Those who wouldn’t be caught dead in a muscle car somehow find it OK to drive trucks that have ladders to get into the cab. Their individual tires weigh more than the driver. Some are so loud with a combination of engine noise and the sound of their knobby tire treads slapping the pavement that they can give you the earthquake effect from over a mile away. It’s really strange to hear a truck bearing down the road and you listen and listen to it approaching and about five minutes later it passes your house. That is when you realize you first heard it approaching at 45 miles per hour for five minutes making it audible from at least 4 miles away.

So we really haven’t come a long way in the last 50 years, we’ve just adjusted our horizons and we are still on the same course.

4 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

I could see wearing or toting the skin or hide of some exotic animal if you had killed it and skinned it yourself. That used to be the point behind that. If I had gone mano e mano against a bear or a mountain lion or an emu and survived damn skippy I would be displaying it's pelt with pride. If I could find a way to skin and stuff an entire cornfield I'd do it in a Noo Yawk minute.
The problem would be getting attacked by crows when I went outside. Maybe a big loud truck would scare them away.

6:53 AM  
Blogger mark said...

You're absolutely right about the noise cars and trucks make as they approach on the road. When I'm riding my bike around here, it's easy to hear trucks approaching from behind; I have plenty of time to get out of the middle of the lane and let them pass. Sometimes I don't hear cars until they're closer, maybe a couple hundred yards away. Hybrids like the Prius sneak up on me: I often don't notice them until they're passing.

8:58 AM  
Blogger g said...

I'd love to own a new camaro.
Bad ASS!!

11:17 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, You like wearing your demons.

Mark, they are quiet. I've heard bicycles that make more noise that a Pious.

g, alas you are stuck driving your Pious, scaring the crap out of Mark on his bicycle.

5:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home