Saturday, April 30, 2011

Big Frogs and Small Ponds


I saw the term, "Big Frog in a Small Pond" recently. This was a term my mother used often to describe locals in our town that were too big for their britches or for bullies. I understood the term the first time she said it to me when I was very young.

There is a lot of that big frog thing happening here in the County.

One of my father's associate was a big fish who dinned on big frogs, though you wouldn't know it by his demeanor. He was a quiet man who seemed to get things done without being boastful. He was smart enough to have others do his bidding for him ans he sat below the surface. His philosophy was, "If you don't have pull, you have to push."

To this day I find it interesting how both he and my mother had contempt for the big frogs from different angles. I don't have much more to say on this topic other than how I enjoy the imagery in my mind,

3 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

Me, I rather enjoy being a bottom feeder. Keeps me under the radar.

7:47 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, I've seen fish eat frogs.

6:07 AM  
Anonymous Uncle Walt said...

I guess the opposite end of the scale, is the "gnat/mosquito bothering the elephant".

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home