Saturday, October 20, 2012

Backing Up

Sometimes when the universe is in prefect alignment I can back the truck right up to the horse trailer, however most times it's a game of getting out to look and finding I need to go an inch or two in one direction.  Sadly it sometimess takes four or six tries before I get the hitch directly over the ball.

My remedy was to get a back-up camera.  It is supposed to mount on the rear license plate, but that doesn't give me the correct angle so I made a removable bracket that hangs on the tail gate and looks down directly on the hitch ball.  Very cool, no more hopping and skipping out of the cab for a look.  It's all there to see on the screen.

The additional cool thing is that the unit is wireless so after I'm hitched up I can move the camera inside the horse trailer and I can see that the horses are OK while in transit.

The problem with permanently hooking it up to the truck is that the camera is water resistant, but the wireless antenna unit isn't waterproof at all.  But all in all, it's really cool.

7 Comments:

Anonymous gearhead said...

Good idea! Where did you buy that?
Guy, make sure to remove the camera before you fall any more trees!
:-D

9:15 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Funny, I forgot all about that. I have a way of destroying the tail gates on my trucks. I bought it at Auto Zone, but you can find them for less (around $88) at Amazon.com and there is usually free shipping on orders over $25.

9:27 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Ah. That is very cool, guy! I always try and con somebody else into backing up to or with a trailer for me. I mostly suck at it. That's an awesome idea.

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome!!! I'm so glad that these gadgets are getting cheaper and cheaper.

9:19 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev & Tango, This features comes with a lot of new cars, but for the old car set it is a cool, inexpensive option. The intended sewt-up is so it only turns on when you are in reverse, but I hooked mine up so it stays on.

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Liz said...

Or if you're super cool like me, your horses, and subsequently your trailer, is small and light enough to muscle onto the ball (unless it's really muddy and things are way far out of whack as far as footings and angles go)...

11:51 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Liz I wish I was that that strong, but with a Belgian/quarter horse mix I will never be able to use a small light trailer so I have to settle for the coolness of having a mini TV in my truck. So oddly I now have two screens. One with the back-up camera and one with the GPS. It's starting to look like a news room in there...

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home