Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Roku is Cool

Computer based entertainment is fun and all, but it is kind of like a cup cake, meant to be consumed by one person at a time.  Computer screens are not conducive to being viewed by more than one person.  They are too small and too flat for the masses or even family fiewing.

We use Netflix but the only options for us are to get a DVD in the mail, schedule time to watch it, mail it back and wait three more days for the next film in our queue to come.  There is no spontaneous want to see/can see about it.  For that you can get the streaming service, but there you get to watch it on your computer.

This is where Roku comes in.  For under $50 you can buy this device that access your your wireless feed and you can stream Netflix directly onto your TV for all to see.  It doesn't do only Netflix, it is like its own cable system with several (around 100)channels like TED, Smithsonian, NBC News, Faux News, Huffington video and all sorts of streaming Internet channels.  There are even free movie and broadcast channels.   I've been catching up on all the eppisodes of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee.

It's a device like this that makes one question if they need cable TV at all.

7 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

Really... I'm going to have to look into that. We have Netflix on the teevee through our Wii but the wife hates using that controller.

Thanks for the tip, Guy!

8:03 AM  
Blogger ErinFromIowa said...

In May I bought a Roku, dropped cable and saved $500 a year.Check out Sam the Cooking Guy's channel. There is a guitar lesson channel I am thinking about subscribing to for my grandson. Also http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku/ is pretty cool. Oh! I am a newish lurker who you lured out talking about Roku!

10:18 AM  
Blogger g said...

I own a couple of the WD TV Live boxes. They are networked to my computer so I can watch youtube, videos, etc. The only problem with streaming for me is my very slow DSL connection is only 1.5m down.

1:32 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, it has a little controler with very few buttons.

Erin, Cool, thanks for coming out and I love the link you sent. I need to set aside some time to play with it.

g 1.5M? That isn't DSL, that's Dial-up and that went out with the use of horses and bayonets in battle. (see that, I was able to sneak in a Romney joke)

3:47 PM  
Blogger weese said...

i got rid of cable two months ago.
we have apple tv (which is just like roku) and netflix.
i am saving 100 bucks a month and could not be happier.
i like tv on my terms - because really most of it sucks.
(and yes... i am still reading along :) just quietly)

7:36 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Weese, I know you're still there. We are all much quieter these days.

Erin, thanks again for that link, I love the extra channels.

10:28 AM  
Blogger ErinFromIowa said...

Glad to share. If you haven't already signed up for it rokuguide.com is handy. There is now a way to view youtube with VideoBuzz. Weee!

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home