Thursday, November 23, 2006

Black Thursday


I'll admit, I'm not throwing any "A" material out there on the blog this week since readership is so low. This tells me lots of folks read from work and no one is working ; )

There was a morning last month that was strange. It appeared to be normal at first as I uploaded my daily entry into the blog. However after that it seemed as though I had slipped into an electronic limbo. I checked all six email accounts, checked the forums I frequent, checked the blogs that I check daily. There was nothing. No mail, no posts, no new blog entries, no comments on articles. There wasn’t even any spam. I waited, and checked again at lunch time and still nothing. I thought for a moment, “This is what death must be like, or perhaps what it is like to live in Iowa…” No, Iowa can’t be all that bad.

This was a Thursday, and historically Thursdays and Mondays, according to my counter on the blog and the web sites I maintain; are the most active days. Thursdays and Mondays see twice the visitors than any other day of the week.

Where did everyone go? Was there an atomic blast that ended all communications?

Yes, everything worked out. I was happily deleting spam again by the end of the day, but there was a time when I felt as though I were adrift on an ice berg. Sure, I don’t like people enough to hang out with them very often, but I guess I’m attached to the communication or at least the chance for something novel to come out of a piece of communication.

6 Comments:

Blogger richpix said...

"Black Thursday" and the picture you chose reminded me of William S. Burroughs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Z_08o108E

Dial-up users can read the same thing here, though I really like the presentation of the video:
http://www.karmalised.com/archives/000740.html

10:42 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Excellent, Rich! I had never seen that one before.

Nature "IS" red in tooth and claw.

Trish, you feeling better about people today? If so, don't read that poem.

12:19 PM  
Blogger LeLo said...

You haven't been showing up in my Bloglines as having new posts. I just realized I hadn't read you in awhile and clicked through and lo and behold, there are plenty of new posts here.

12:36 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Lelo, I don't know what's up with Bloglines. It has let me down several times in the last week as well, now that you mention it. I try to keep the Blog half baked fresh daily, and have it on the shelf for the consumers by 6am (Pacific). I wonder if there is a more reliable blogtracker out there. Your post have been showing up on mine, though. I loved your "It's not always about you" clip.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

Huh. I was under the impression that all of your posts were "A" quality. Huh.

I have lower readership than you, Rustysan. I had to think about why I was blogging a ways back, since, as you know, it does take up some time. And I came to the conclusion that I do it not for the fame (because clearly that isn't going to happen!) but instead because I love to write. Always have.

You can tell the difference between those who are trying to blog for attention and those who just love to write and observe the world. Obviously, you're one of the latter, as well.

Happy T-Day.

10:39 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Thanks Mo3. I guess what I meant by "A" material is that I'm not putting out anything really heavy like articles on landfills, immigration, agriculture, fibromyalgia, United Way... That is the stuff I feel best for writing, because I hope it makes someone aware of something they were not previously not aware of. The truth be told, I don't have a lot of those articles in me.

The rest of the writing here is just stuff that I have bouncing around in my head that I need to get out to make room for other stuff to bounce around in my head.

5:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home