Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Yeah, Thanks...

Thanksgiving is another holiday that annoys me, which I’m sure you, the faithful readers were expecting. I mean if pissed all over the 4th of July, what’s stopping me from bitching about all the established holidays. So what’s so bad about a food holiday? Nothing when you look at it like that. However as an Atheist, I have a hard time saying thanks to something that doesn’t exist for me.

Also, all the bounty that we are supposedly thankful for here comes at someone’s expense. We took the land from the natives. We ruined their culture, gave them diseases they had no defense against. Their only retribution has been tobacco and reservation gambling.

Next the food on our table was picked by indentured slaves that often get very low wages in exchange for not being turned in to the boarder patrol. Sometimes they are turned in right before their pay id due.

The turkey you eat, if it isn’t free-range organic, is grown in a factory with tens of thousands of other turkeys that are feed a steady diet of growth hormones and antibiotics. Their environment is full of waste and the smell of ammonia. They do not fly or ever leave the building. It is a sea of white feathers standing in their own waste. After they are slaughtered they are injected with chemicals to make them juicy and extend their shelf life…like embalming fluid would do in humans.

All the stuff we are thankful for may just bite us in the ass one day.

So what will I be doing on Thanksgiving? Writing blog articles, pulling up Scotch Broom seedlings and I’ll probably make a pizza or baked ziti. I will be thankful for not being one who has fallen for this holiday without regard to who gets hurt in the name of tradition.

13 Comments:

Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Hey, I thought Canadians had their Thanksgiving in August? Do you folks do the turkey thing as well?

4:30 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

Gee, uh...thanks, Guy.

Haha, I actually hate it as much as you. I'm not even crazy about turkey. Too bad the Thanksgiving myth doesn't carry the tradition of say...prime rib.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

Do what I do. Ignore the whole bloody mess. Other than a “don’t go to work” mental note, I am barely more aware of Smallpox Blanket Day (Thanksgiving) than of Shavuot.

In addition, I couldn’t care less when the Dead Carpenter Birthday decorations went up. I don’t pay attention, and being married, I can filter out anything.

8:34 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Syd, one can get sick of prime rib as well. Ask any musician who plays a lot of weddings.

Tom, you are one brave man, living with 4 holiday harpies. I hope you built a safe room for yourself in that remodel. Dude, if you pull it off I'll buy you a cup of coffee.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

My safe room is the entire attic. I was supposed to remodel it, however.....

So, of course I will survive, however battered.

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Say it is'nt so. Having migrant workers rounded up and deported before payday?

I don't get around much and have not heard of this. That is sooo wrong! I have been pissed about it from time to time today since I read it this morning.

Who are the savages again? Makes me sick Guy. Here we are in another country and another native population right now in Iraq. But it's ok, we are not building missions and alters that I know of. Shit. it's late, I will save it for another thread.

11:10 PM  
Blogger CB said...

I am thankful that we share this space in clatsop county and that I can enjoy reading your blog almost daily. Whether or not I agree your always an enjoyable read. So, come on now, what have you written in the "real" world? I think I read somewhere you have a book out?

I wrote a couple of articles for NorthCoast Oregon.com titled Immigration and Undocumented Workers. I found out a lot of fascinating info about our fellow Americans from the south, many of them kidnapped from the united states and shanghaied to mid-Mexico aboard the Union Pacific via a special deal the train owners made with the states of California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas, to alleviate the preassures and problems caused by the Deppression. Gives a whole new spin to the word "illegal". It is a wonder, to me, how people can say that happened too long ago to be concerned about! It was also sad, to me, how few people even bothered to write a comment about the topic!

On our table: Salmon and venison roast. Around our table family and friends from the heritages of the: Norwegians, Indian (Hindi), Prussians, Swedes, Phillipines, Japanese, English, Mexican, Greek, Italian, Irish and some Wahkiakum of the Chinook nation.

Have a good one however you spend it!

1:41 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Port, Don't let it ruin your weekend.

CB, did you really think I was going to out myself and let you know about my other writing?
Nice try ; )

The books are out of print right now and I've got some more work to do before I publish again, revisions and continuations. I'm too into writing blog articles to mess with any real writing right now.

I hear you on the immigration issues. Here is a thing I wrote last summer. Illegals

I saw your web site just now, and you gave me an idea for a great story about king apples, thanks.

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cb - All these people around your table and no Frenchmen? Still pissed about the French and Freedom fries?? My lower french half is upset!!

1:57 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Moosehead, CB may not get all your inside jokes there. MH is half french Candaian, where Boo is 100% Canadian.

4:00 PM  
Blogger RobbKidd said...

The Thanksgiving Holiday a day that we are told to give thanks for our predeccesors who original cooperated with the native culture for survival until they decided to screw them and their way of life.

I went to the grocery store today, and it was pure insanity. Shopping carts stuffed to the gill with crap massed produced food sources by poorly waged labor. Hail, American democracy coming to a third world country soon. More rape and plunder while the masses of society gain more weight and destroy the planet further. Oh, yeah give thanks and praise for that...

4:28 PM  
Blogger CB said...

FREEdom fries, gross! French fries, yummmm! Our Fench Canadian friend will come for our February holiday.

11:38 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Presidents Day?

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home