Friday, January 26, 2007

Nietzsche in Love




Lori challenged me to take on this topic “how Nietzsche can influence a relationship.” As a person of twisted honor I am compelled to continue.

Though few cheerful statements were ever published during Friedrich Nietzsche career, I have found some that could be spun with a positive message. Most of his philosophical career seemed to be based upon disrespect for religion (probably what draws me toward him), yet most other statements make me wonder why he never ended his life as a young man.

Of all things, religion is said to be a sexual and moral regulation entity. Before man invented god, people were free to live and love. Early man may not have been fully in touch with their emotions, but as evolution progressed, humankind would have come to understand it. The problem was that religion came along and stopped the evolution of love dead in its tracks. Nietzsche summed it up by saying, “Christianity gave Eros poison to drink; he did not die of it but degenerated into vice.”

Human were now armed with guilt and suspicion of intent. Is it the person who loves me or is it Satan trying to tempt me. These were the dark ages that created a lot of contempt for women where were burned and drowned as witches. Yet somehow reason again poked its head to the surface. Nietzsche drew out this sentiment when he said, “We love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving.”

People have finally learned to voice their concerns about love and intent. People realized how precious things could be when they were good. Love again had value as did friendship and communication. Nietzsche illuminates this by saying, “When marrying, ask yourself this question: Do you believe that you will be able to converse well with this person into your old age? Everything else in marriage is transitory.” He also said,”It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.”

Finally Nietzsche seems to fully comprehend the sacrifices one must make for love. He also realized the pain and the value of sometimes saying, “no”, when he stated, ”This is what is hardest: to close the open hand because one loves.”

So to all you wise asses out there who didn’t think I could possibly spin a positive article with the ideas of Nietzsche...there you have it. Now someone buy me a drink.

10 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

You did it! I'd buy you a drink if I lived anywhere near you. Instead, I'll just toast you from here.
The quotation re: marriage? I'd never read that one. Love it. That's where my husband and I are right now - with the kids gone. Thank God we are still friends.
(Loved Nietzsche in university until we got to the female bashing - should have stuck with him. Some good stuff.)

6:57 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

I actually think you did a damned fine job and made a point totally relevant to my life right at this moment. Bravo!

9:34 AM  
Blogger Jaggy said...

I think that's the best non-church sermon I've heard. I actually read every word, understood it, and liked it. You win!

How about e-ice cream instead of a drink? :)

9:52 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

In fact, could I use your blog today as a guest post on mine? It'll wow the girls.

12:21 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Lori, sure, have at it.

Jaggy I would be delighted to have e-ice cream with you. Don't ask me to e-dance, though.

Beth, as I warned Moosehead, don't be lulled by the words of this guy. Eventually it will pull you into the depths.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

You wrote a mean paper in college, didn't you????

Yer one of them smart people...

How do you feel about Kafka???

6:25 PM  
Blogger CB said...

You are an awesome writer! Hat's off and a curtsy. I may not agree with all of your conclusions in this article but I truly enjoy the wordsmithing of a fine artist. The percise flow of one word on another creating something where once a blank page existed and somewhere a mind had never conceived that thought suddenly blazoning to life with creative energy. All becaue your words created ... "something"! Magic!

Pass it on. Blogger party, February 4th. Discuss it at Walluski Babble, okay?

8:56 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Actually, I don't think I wrote very well back in college,and I'm still trying to build the skill. Mo3, please don't ask me to write Kafka in Love ; )

CB, thank you, but Nietzsche wrote all the clever stuff in this article.

10:25 PM  
Blogger CB said...

No, Guy, he didn't. And, he didn't bring it together like you did.

7:54 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Pish Tosh, but thank you *blush*

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home