Saturday, January 06, 2007

When I Grow Up


Even at age 51 I still ask myself what I want to do when I grow up. As I have written recently, I’ve had several jobs, but none I would consider a career and few jobs have I ever had a consumptive passion over.

I do know there are several jobs I’d never want, regardless of the pay, and they are:
Fisherman, too cold wet and stinky.
Plumber, too cold wet and stinky, plus there is a lot of crawling involved.
Mechanic, I have no mechanical ability.
Croupier, I can’t shuffle cards, (Can’t tie knots either) and I am very bad at games.
Bar Tender, I would not have a good eye as to when to cut people off.
Middle School Teacher, Too much energy and hormonal stuff going on there.
Long Distance Truck Driver, too many temptations to go off course.
Fund Raiser, I hate begging.
Fast Food, hard to get the stink off.
Hair Stylist, too many ways to screw people up.

Here are some jobs I’ve never had and I wouldn’t mind trying, regardless of pay:
Pilot
Rancher
House inspector
Heavy equipment operator
Baker
Staff comedy writer
Coroner
Set builder
Limo driver
Art Restorer

And finally, if I could only get paid for blogging.

7 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Paid for blogging? I wish.
Wonder when one does finally feel "grown up?"

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pilot-no, don't like flying; coroner-ew; heavy equip operator-way too much gravity.

But your other picks would do me just fine...especially the blogging one!

1:33 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Trish, Coroner would be a great job. No worries about malpractice, and what's the worst that could happen, you can't kill anyone.

Beth, I don't know, but some people do seem to grow up, just not me, and obviously not you, too. Any grown-ups out there?

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being a Printer was fun.
I ran a printing press as large as some houses for 15 years many years ago.
Loved every thing about it!

5:15 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

This entry has sparked my imagination to such an extent that I am putting it my "tickler file" (which I now keep since our last meeting), and will be writing on this topic soon!

I have always wanted to be a coroner as well...

8:43 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Gearhead, I bet that industry has changed a lot since you left the business.

Mo3, cool you're using a tickler. Funny thing is I'll go in there and think I must have been crazy to think I'd ever write about that... But so far every thing that has gone in comes out as a story.

10:01 PM  
Blogger Jaggy said...

I'm qualified to be a forensic scientist with my degree. I've applied to be that and work in a coroner's office...

irony: Jaggy does NOT do dead bodies.

I've also worked as a telemarketer/fundraiser (BAD JOB), in fast food, and I very much want to be a middle school science teacher (thus, a degree in science).

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home