Sunday, March 25, 2007

The Doctor


Good news for those of you who view only broadcast television, meaning those who do not get BBC-TV or the Sci Fi Channel…Dr Who is returning to Oregon Public Broadcasting on April 4th.

They will be airing shows with Rose Tyler and the second to the most recent Doctor. It’s been a very good series, so if you are fan of the doctor it will be on Thursdays at 10pm and Sundays in the late afternoon.

If you’ve never heard of Dr Who, this is a British TV show that has been ongoing for probably 40 years now. The Dr. is a time traveler who has a companion, usually a woman from Earth, he loves our planet. The doctor never dies, but regenerates when he wears a body out. In the old scripts he was only allowed five regenerations, but I think he is now in his eighth body.

There are a lot of cool things about the show like how he never uses violence to solve a problem, he just out wits his opponents. He travels in a police phone box called the Tardis which is dimensionally transverse, meaning it is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside.

For you old fans, yes there are Darliks and Cybermen. Yes the Tardis still makes funny noises. Yes he still has a sonic screwdriver. The special effects are now amazing and it is very well written. And the New Doctors are as good if not better then Tom Baker, yes I’ll be flogged for that statement, but wait and see.

So Dr. Who fans, rejoice. He’s back.

11 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

Better than Baker? I don't think so.

I havent watched Dr.Who in many years, but got hooked when I lived in the UK in the early 80's. When I returned, I always tried to make a point of finding it here when I could. And that was not very often. Old OPB used to run it, I seem to recall.

6:10 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good grief I haven't thought about that show in a 100 years....ok maybe more like 30 years....ack!!! Can't believe I am that old!!! When I was 8 - 12 years old we lived in England and I LOVED watching the original, old Dr. Who shows...I can hear the tune playing in my head now!!.....delightful bit of scariness for someone that age...it was so scarey and futuristic that it often just left me in awe!!! It was magical and mystical all at the same time!

Thanks for the memories Guy....:)

6:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being only 7 I wasn't allowed to watch the show so I would hide behind the livingroom door while my older brothers and boo watched. The show really creeped me out but I felt so clever peeking through the crack in the door.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Wow - haven't heard the word "Tardis" in ages. Old memories...

7:18 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Interesting, all replies have been from present or once Subjects of the Crown.

I've been a fan of Who since William Hartnill, John Pertwee... Stuck with it through Tom Baker, Peter Davidson and Collin Baker. Then there was the Dweebie guy in the movie and the most recent two. The persent guy is by far the best, though Tom Baker opened the window on being a creative Doctor.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

I used to watch it every Saturday on PBS back when Jon Pertwee was the Doc...saw a couple of Baker episodes, but by then had moved and getting my driver's license.

The production values of British television, which were shown in an PAL format and converted when viewed here really freaky. Cool freaky, but freaky.

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guy Said:>>>There are a lot of cool things about the show like how he never uses violence to solve a problem, he just out wits his opponents.<<<

That is my preferred style as well. My family and reletives solved all conflict with a closed fist. Boring!!

11:00 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

I have a dr. who (style) scarf :) I also love the new BBC version...good stuff

7:50 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Lee let me know when you get the mechanical dog, K-9

10:00 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I love the new Doctor Who. Never got to see the old ones. I should try and find the old ones and watch them.

8:03 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I don't think the old ones are on DVD yet, maybe a couple of episodes, but not full sets.

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home