Sunday, March 18, 2007

Ag Conclusion


Today I will bring my weekend agricultural articles to a finish. In these pieces I examined the potential of starting up an Ag-Business. It isn’t all that easy to do in these modern days. The most positive way to go about it is to do what you enjoy and some day it in turn may return monetary rewards to you. This is the best one can hope for.

My advice is to grow some vegetables, raise an animal or two for meet or fiber, chickens for eggs, maybe get some bees for pollination and honey. Have fun and know that you are producing food for your friends and family. You have the ability of keeping your food pure, and the taste will be many times better than the products that come from factory farms and strip-mine vegetable fields in Texas.

Read up on what you do. Become an expert, and maybe write a book. Share your ideas with others and you will be living the agricultural life that so many people desire. Subscribe to good trade publications and keep up with the latest agricultural news at the Capital Press.

As your skills increase you may come to a point where you can give up the day job and dedicate you life to what you enjoy doing most. Very few family farms ever have just one item. It is a diverse operation. The more flexible you can be; the better chances you have at success.

I hope you, the reader have been able to take something away from this series of articles, even if you don’t want to live an agricultural life. I love writing about agriculture.

4 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

I may not have the land/space or skill to try out any of your suggestions, but I've enjoyed reading your Ag series - and I've learned from it.
Isn't it great writing about something you love?

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the posts Guy.

Maybe you could also do a round-up of what you are doing at the moment and what you are thinking of getting into in the future.

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guy, I hope you know how many inroads you have made and your valuable place in Oregon Ag.
. . . . . . . .
They say, "It takes money to make money."
This implies that to go into business one needs butt loads of cash to get started.
The concept of "boot-strap businesses are usually somewhat laughable in most areas of business.
Ag is one area where it is possible and often benefitial to start small and grow the business along with your knowledge.
What ever it is; you have to talk, think, eat, sleep and breathe to get it right.
Otherwise, forget it altogether.
You've got to love it.
Then it becomes a part of your liffe and also provides you with most of the things you need to get by.

6:08 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Thanks, Beth. That was my intent, to make people a little more aware what folks are doing out there and how Ag touches everyone's life.

TH, I will do that sometime in the future. Right now for me it is my preseason, which is a time where I ask myself if I really want to do it again, but I'm sure once I make the speaking circuit I'll be all chargesd up again.

Gearhead, thanks for the compliment. As long as there is a back door for me to sneak out when the going gets tough, I'll probably stick with it. And one thing is true and that is you have forgotten more than I will ever know on the subjects we address together. It's always great working with you.

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home