Thursday, March 15, 2007

Pass-Times


What are valid pass-times? Gearhead recently wrote me with this quandary. He is a practical sort who never wastes time. He also thinks many moves ahead, and I envy people who can do that, since they are way better at seeing cause and effect. He is a gear head who is constantly engineering things or fixing and restoring old machinery, motorcycles, tractors, cars and trucks. He invents stuff as well.

After he posed that question to me I find that few of my pass-times would be valid in his eyes. They are barely valid in my eyes. So many of the things that were once my pass-times have become work to me. My pass-times now are the total opposite of work. They are a total waste of time.

I wish I could find joy in sports or politics. I wouldn’t even mind becoming a regular customer at a local pub. These things too are a waste of time. I am as proficient as I need to be with the technology I use. I used to spend hours learning things on the computer. I feel no need to do so any more. I have no interest in taking any classes.

Maybe I’m in some sort of funk where the only pastimes I have are writing blog articles, watching the Daily Show and getting to bed at a reasonable hour. It is somewhat sad when I see people achieving things like Gearhead. Some of you readers have told me about painting and creating art, restoring houses, cooking and reading. All valid pass-times in anyone’s eyes. You are honing your skills hoping for personal betterment The more I think of it, the more guilty I feel for all the time I waste in this short life.

I would like to write more about this topic, but the Daily show comes on in three minutes and I have to hunt down a snack.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guy,

You aren't telling the whole truth. You have many interests and activities. I have seen the progress around your homestead, the activities you and your wife are involved in, your writing, etc. Now stop the pity party and scoot over so I can watch the Daily Show with you.

Love,
Anon

7:03 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

I am no longer willing to allow myself to feel badly/guilty when I hear about the wondrous, creative "pastimes" of others.
Killing time, filling time, "pastimes" - just expressions. Whatever gets you through the day and makes you feel good doing it is just fine.
I'll do the "personal betterment" thing at my own pace and in my own way.
(Hope you enjoyed the Daily show.)

7:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is all I have to say

Anyone notice the person in the photo resembles Guy?

8:43 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I feel like the Daily Show is now a valid activity. Thanks, people. Did anyone catch it the other night with John Waters as the guest? Damn, he sure is funny.

TH, thanks for the vomit-gram. I will be using it one day. When I read what you wrote before clicking on the link I figured you mightr have been looking for some more abuse, like Auntie L doesn't dish you enough crap already. Thank goodness it was all in good fun, I really don't have the energy for a snark war. I don't know how you and L keep that energy going. ; )

8:57 AM  
Blogger Amaya said...

You say you don't have the energy for politics, but you watch the Daily Show? Granted, it's much more than politics, but it does have a strong base in educating with humor. (see how I'm trying to justify it for you?)
Also, you don't seem the type to eat bonbons and watch Soaps all day. Maybe you should keep track of the things you do throughout the day and sift through the stuff that you can eliminate?

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the nice words, Guy.
I think that a lot of this is up for debate.
And don't let Guy fool you with all of the self deprecation,folks; Guy is a doer among doers.
By the way, I just returned from a 927 mile nonstop round trip to pick up my first load of ***$.
Left at 8:00am on Wed and returned at 6:00 am on Thurs.
Anyway, my favorite pass-time is reading Guy's blog.
:-;

9:31 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

Gearhead sounds a lot like my husband, Cliff. If we are taking our daily walk in the pasture, he says things like, "Look at that ole snag of a tree; I ought to be out here cutting that down." If we go on vacation, he'll say, "I ought to be home, mowing hay (or whatever he thinks he should be doing). At least since we bought the motorcycle, he has one thing he's so happy doing that he doesn't worry about what he OUGHT to be doing.

Me? I spend way too much time playing and having fun, to suffer guilt about what I'm not doing. I'll let Cliff do the worrying.

11:28 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I don't have energy to write about politics. Probably because when I thinke U understand it, I find I don't.

Thanks Gearhead.

Sounds like you have the best of both worlds there, Donna.

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check back through your early posts on Astoria Rust....lots of political stuff there....

Oh and I thought you were the King of Snark around these parts....what happened?

I think you are losing it Guy. Have you seen the "White Light"? Do you find yourself reading your will everyday? Are you shopping for cemetery plots? Has someone been rejecting your pennies? What gives?

6:23 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

I've been grappling with this same issue. Gotta find a new hobby...I'm starting to get on my own nerves.

10:53 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

Shoot. There's plenty to work at, why on earth feel guilty for those times when you're not "producing" anything.

Besides, when one writes as well as you, blogging is not just a fluffy waste of time.

Guilt is really a pastime to feel guilty about. A total, utter waste.

11:20 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Mo3 (((HUG))) Thanks.

Syd, the problem is what your former hobbies have done to you in the past. Be careful, I don't want to loose my favorite sister.

TH, saving you for last, rat bastard... I have written political stuff, but I don't enjoy it and I know better to think I am enlightened about the people and the process. Yes I have lost my edge. Probably because I haven't been having any adventures, though I am due to do some traveling and speaking in the next two months. That may help, and it may not. Normally I have a couple weeks worth of articles written in advance for posting. Sadly I only have the next four ready right now. So who knows, if I run out Tuesday may be my last post for a while.

6:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Pass time" ... how one "passes time" between doing something.

Thus wasting time IS a valid "pass time".

Thus speaketh The Ponderer.

3:00 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Thanks for the encouragement.

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home