Wednesday, March 14, 2007

More About Richard Mizdal



A while back I wrote about seeing a young photographer at the Blue Scorcher who had a copy of a book written by my high school photography teacher, Richard Mizdal. Small World

It gave me a good reason to contact Richard and see what he’s been up to. He is still teaching at the State University of New York (SUNY) and he’s into some strange/cool stuff. He sent me three images of his recent work. It really makes me miss all the artistic experimentation I used to do in art and photography. I really miss the dark rooms and studios.

I asked about the technique he used for the image above and his reply, ”They are created by painting black and white photo paper in the darkroom with various photo chemicals, exposing it and then scanning it to color in Photoshop.”

Thanks for sharing, Richard. It’s really nice having you as my touch stone for art education over the last 30 years.

3 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Glad you posted this. It reminded me that I put Mizdall's book on my Amazon.ca Wish List to buy for my husband - and Father's Day is coming up.

I love those images. Don't know why and don't care. Just do.

6:17 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Hey Guy, I love the images. Thanks for sharing.

You seem to miss photography and art alot and have mentioned in in your blog more than once.

Do yourself a favor and convert someplace into a darkroom and get to work, will ya?

6:25 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

The images got to me as well, Beth.

L, I actually hated taking photographs, but I loved processing them.

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home