Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Hunger


I woke up hungry. This is odd because I had a rather big snack before bed, something I should never do. So why is it one can tank up and find themselves a few hours later feeling like they haven’t eaten in a week?

It’s always been said that one hour after eating Chinese food you are hungry again. Is it the carbs of the rice, is it the vegetables? It seems well balanced with several food groups in each meal. I can eat Italian food and feel full for days.

The appestat just doesn’t know when not to kick in at the proper time. Also, what is it about hunger? Why does it feel like that? It isn’t really a pain but rather a nagging sensation. It isn’t even like a stomach ache; it’s a totally different feeling.

Most eating is habitual. I’ve had days where I’ve totally forgotten to eat. I was never reminded by hunger. However if I have an English muffin a half hour before bed there I am awake at 3am feeling starved. Go figure. There are millions of people who are going hungry in the world and here I am at 3am desiring another meal all because I ate something too late. It just isn’t right.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always have a cup of yogurt before going to bed.

It fills me up for the whole night and probably since it is dairy, adds to my active dream life.

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This happens to me too. I figure that a big meal stretches my stomach so that when it is empty again it's a bigger empty.

Don't know if there is any scientific proof to that it's just what it feels like.

I also wonder why when I am REALLY hungry I feel nauseous...what's up with that?

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a very good friend that eats by the clock.
Do you know the look that folks get when their cell rings on viberate? That is the look he gets at 8:00am , 11:59 am , and 5:30 pm.
We take a couple of road trips together each year on business.
There we are driving down I-5 when all of a sudden he sets up straight and asks, "Where do you want to stop to eat?"
I look at my watch. Its 11:59 am.
"Are you hungry?" I ask.
"Not really", he says.
"Good! Lets keep going", I say.
Two minutes later: "HEY! there is a great steak house at the next exit" he says.
This continues, and before 12:30 we are setting in a resturaunt, buried in great conversation, although neither of us is hungry.
Because he is such a good buddy, I now hit the first exit after his internal clock alarm rings.
As for me, I eat when ever the #&!! I feel like it.
We are eating dinner tonight a 8:00 pm. Who cares?

7:34 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

I WISH I could EVER forget to eat. When you're a vegetarian with a fat butt, you know you like to eat too much.

It's a constant struggle.

8:51 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Auntie, are you dreaming of cows and bulls?

Trish, have you noticed the symptoms go away if you ignore them for an hour?

Gearhead, Kenny? No kidding? I can see it. Hehehe

Mo3, though I haven't seen you exit a room you appeared fit to me. I tell you what, post a photo of your butt on your blog and let us decide if it is big or not.

5:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home