Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Bill Braun


I don’t mean to step on the toes of Art Girl, also known as Auntie L, but I have to write about art today.

I go through a lot of galleries. Anytime I visit a town I like to go through the galleries and see what the local talent (or lack of talent) is doing. I often leave galleries muttering to myself, “So many artists; so little art.” Yes I know I’m peeing in the pool of local galleries here, but hey there are very few gallery quality artists here. I mean who the fuck would ever buy those bronze clowns? You all know what I’m talking about, don’t you?

OK, now on to something good. There is a gallery in Kirkland Washington called the Gunnar Nordstrom Gallery where I first became acquainted with the work of Bill Braun.

As many of you know I’m a sucker for Trompe L'Oeil painting. When I walked into this gallery there was what I thought was a piece made of construction paper stapled to craft paper. It was interesting is a 3rd grade art project way, but why was it at this gallery. I looked closer without touching. It was construction paper on craft paper; I was sure of it, but oddly the staples didn’t seem to reflect the light. I couldn’t resist, I touched and I couldn’t believe it. It was a painting. The shadows were perfect. The colors were perfect. Everything was perfect. I had been totally fooled.

Bill Braun is a master of Tromp L’Oeil. Click the link below to see a good collection of his work.

Bill Braun

11 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

Art Girl says 'thanks for sharing'!

I really like his works with the plywood background. Sounds like a road trip for my future to see some of these first hand.

6:03 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

I would like the one called "Ruler and Circles" (please) and my address is.....

Wow. Impressive.

10:50 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Seeing them in person is just amazing. You'd never know it was paint on canvas. Bill's work was going for about $1,200 when I first saw his work, and the last time I was up there it was going for about $4,600 and that was four years ago.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Jaggy said...

Man, I can't even fold real paper that well. You're right, those are amazing paintings!

12:24 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

I love stuff like that.

Yes, those clowns give my children nightmares. Though in that gallery I have to say I LOVE those cats.

My fave gallery in town is Lunar Boy because I adore retro art.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

"Wine, Glasses and Flowers" would be dynamite in my remodeled kitchen, if anyone's lookin' for a house remodeling gift...

3:34 PM  
Blogger Auntie said...

OMG - I just relooked at those and realized that almost all of the works on that page were already SOLD!

Man, am I in the wrong business or what?

8:08 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Bill is great. I hope you can see some of his stuff in person some day.

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Who the fuck would ever buy those bronze clowns?" Well, clearly not a moron like you. Putz.

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear The Guy Who Writes This (But Who Is Too Insecure To Give His Real Name),

You don't "get" the clowns (even though you clearly are one) but at least you like Brautigan. Two points.

Kiss Kiss,

The Woman So Famous She Can't Reveal Her Identity For Fear Of National Media Swarm

12:19 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

What clowns?

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home