Thursday, May 10, 2007

May 10th


It was May 10, 2006 when I first wandered in to the wonderful world of blogs. I was searching the internet for a local photo for some reason I don’t remember. I came across the Dude Mung Blog, and I ventured further from there to other blogs he had linked on his site. It made me miss my previous local web sites, the 4B10 Zone and Touchy Feely U. I though it was time to be back on the web. I always felt better when I let my creative juices flow.

The first day I posted two articles and I’ve been posting ever since. It has generally been a positive experience. There have been a few bumps in the road. I’ve made many friends and a few enemies in the last year.

I’m proud of many of the articles I’ve written. Most of the best stuff (in my opinion) just started with a vague idea and then blossomed into a full blown left wing rant. The articles actually firmed my convictions. My personal favorites include my anti United Way articles, Nimby, about our garbage and my agricultural pieces.

The defining article about the Dried Salmon District Attorney in July really put this blog on the map. The replies to that topic were still pouring in even after the article was archived. Trying to get out of the Josh business, I created the forum were the readers could hash and rehash the topic if they wished to do so. Oddly the topic has moved over to the Dried Salmon Forum, (not associated with this blog) and the topic still has legs. Back in last July I had no idea that an elected official could be so hated and distrusted among the people of the county. He really should pass the job onto someone. Josh is no longer respected and one needs respect in that position.

There have been times when I’ve considered cutting back and posting only weekly articles, but somehow the topics keep surfacing and I keep writing. I do hope this inspiration continues and my abilities are able to keep up.

As for future plans I hope to have a drink with Mo3 and Auntie L, and I’ll bring the pepper spray if Mo3s dogs gang up on me. I hope to meet Syd in Mississippi one day.I hope to meet all the Canadians who visit and comment, Beth, Boo, Trish and Moose. Hey, what ever happened to Boo, I miss her. Trish, send her my love. Gearhead, the kids from Seattle(I am still unable to log onto your blogs except Amaya) Zoe, Rich, Mel, TH, Jaggy, Lori, Donna, CB, Mo3 and Slave Hubby, Auntie, Love Anon, Jeff, Robb, Sharon, Lelo, Trop, Wen; thanks for dropping by. I know I'm forgetting someone... And to all you who read and never comment. I know who many of you shy folks are, and I'll never tell that you are checking the blog from work ; )

So today is the one year Blogaversary of Astoria Rust. I’ll probably spend some time reading the archives today. Not so much to relive those post, but rather to avoid writing about the same topics a second time.

My thanks go out to all of you who come back to read this stuff every day. This dopey blogger is honored and touched by your constant returns and comments. Lets move ahead into the second year together, shall we?

23 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

YAY! Guy signed up for a second year! Thank you.

5:30 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Happy Anniversary!
So glad I "found" your blog.

5:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats. It is nice to have coffee with you each morning.

Love,
Anon

6:20 AM  
Blogger Zoe said...

Wow it's been a year for you already. Congrats! I hope you stick around for many more.

6:30 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

It's been a pleasure...just keep it coming.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Thanks for inspiring me to have my own blog although I am not as good as you updating it regularly. I look forward to your writings each day and congratulate you on your 1 year anniversary. Keep up the good work.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Amaya said...

You should be proud of the work you've done. My anniversary was May 2nd and I passed it without even noticing. :(

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done Buddy. I'm knee deep in you know what here so haven't been commenting as much. Still check in though to read... and to see if that goddamn fuckin' word verification is still there. Chuckle.

4:44 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Thanks kids, one and all. It fun writing for such good bloggers, and for such an attentive audience. Let's all stick around.

Moose, I'll remove the verify soon, but as soon as I get one piece of spam it goes back on.

Jeff, you were blogging long before me, though you did shut it down for a while. But you were first my friend.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

I have every intention of meeting you one day. In fact, I look forward to it.

Love you, hon.

9:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, between you and F Lee, Josh will be done in any day now. Look at all the cases he's messed up!

9:39 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Ahhh, Cynthia or Josh checking from their AOL account. How sweet, nice to know you're still reading. Being there are no spelling errors in the reply I suspect it is Cynthia's writing. Yes, it is time Josh takes his career in another direction, and perhaps in another state. I hear they love all that death penalty stuff in Texas and Florida. Don't worry, I'm sure you can still hear the Lars Larson show on one of his national stations. How can one even consider staying on when they are so mistrusted. How can one so mistrusted even live in a small town like this. And no, driving an unmarked police vehicle that Bergen gave him doesn't make him more respectable. When I see him in it I think, Clown Car!

Cheers!

10:21 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

I've been blogging longer than you?? I thought you were the BlogFather! Well, you are, actually.

Now that you've committed it here, we expect the same quality for the next year.

Of course, other bloggers have been known to delete things and then claimed they were never up in the first place. So you could try that.

Now, in honor of your BlogDay:

Happy Birthday to you,
You live in a zoo,
You're up every morning,
Shoveling up horse poo.

xoxoxo!!!

10:23 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

Happy Anniversary, Guy. Glad you're around. :)

11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job Guy!!
Although I am always short of time and pushing deadlines, I mu

12:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See guy? You are so loved.

Well, except by the DA and his wife anyway, and who cares what they think.

4:01 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I forgot to mention F Lee and Portosan in the article.

Mo3, maybe you should do Fisher Poets next year.

5:56 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Guy, what gives with the comment about Josh? Is he advocating against himself?????

7:14 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Happy Blog-anniversary!

I love reading your articles, and hearing stories about things I never learned while I lived in Dried Salmon County, as well as things I do know and miss!

7:31 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

The Guy Who Writes This said...

Jeff, that was Cynthia’s facetious comment. That’s the way she generally replies when her hubby is featured. She tries to make all claims look over-blown. She is loyal, I’ll give her that. A word of caution, the most dangerous thing one can do in this county is to get between Josh and the news media, especially if there is a camera involved.

OC, let us know if you ever return to Astoria.

8:41 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

Happy Anniversary Guy (a little late, but still with the best of intentions ;))!!!

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary, sir, it has been a pleasure reading you. Thank-you for the advice in converting from Voy forum to the Dried Salmon ProBoards and blog. It seems Cynthia left out few hundred people, eh?

The Cartons

7:54 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Thanks Lee, Darlin!

Sydney, it may be a few thousand by now. I'm taking bets on if he will finish his term.

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home