Monday, May 07, 2007

Sick Day XIII


I am sick of the misuse and over use of the word “Devastated.” Most people living in the U.S. haven’t a clue what devastation really is. Unless you’ve lost your home and family,friends and neighbors, you don’t have a clue.

I am sick of the misuse and over use of the word “Awesome.” If you are awestruck over the color of a car or a song on the radio you don’t have a life. You are a simpleton. Get a life, have an adventure and discover what the true meaning of “awesome” really is. All you are presently having is a near life experience which isn’t even half as exciting as a near death experience.

I’m sick of all the times I attempt to throw something into a garbage can and miss and have to go back and pick it up and deposit it properly.

Finally, I’m sick of the programming on KMUN from 3-5 every day. I mean, how much yack do we need? Are we so easily turned around like sheep that we need a constant barrage of Noam Chomsky to keep us thinking progressive thoughts? I’m not one to shy from depressing dissertation, but enough is enough. And while I’m on the subject, how much BBC news can we stand? All they report on is war and terrorism all over the world. It’s like listening to a Republican campaign speech without the words "freedom" and "liberty" placed in every other paragraph.

8 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

I love your rants!
One of the things I hate about today's modern "language" is when you state an opinion and the other person says, "Totally."
I know they mean they totally agree, but it still bugs me.
Why can't they just say, "I agree?"

6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy KMUN on Mondays 3-4 PM because of the awesome Harry Shear and his devastatingly funny Le show. The BBC has been sucking eggs for 4-5 years now. I turn it off. Way too depressing and a poor choice to follow Le Show. At one time they seemed much more objective and willing to get to the bottom of things. Nowadays, like you say, it's all war, famine, pestilence and terrorists who hate our freedoms. NPR is not much better, but I do tend to listen. Does All Things Considered really consider all things? No they take a bunch of stuff off the table and give us a slightly more progressive version of the official truth.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Good job, again. Like the art, as usual also.

I also have a major pet peeve about the over use and inappropriate use of "awesome".

Another one is when younger people interject the word "like" into sentences where it doesn't belong.

And I never realized it until reading this, but KMUN afternoons do suck, compared to morning shows.

7:03 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, after reading your blog over the last several months I know your command of the language is excellent. Did this trait wear off on your kids?

Oops, yes, Harry Shearer's Le Show is great, somehow it slipped my mind after listen to the suckage from Tursday - Friday.

Awesome, Auntie! Actually I borrowed that pet peeve from you when you mentioned it. Devestation came from Gearhead. See, I listen to the readers...

8:03 AM  
Blogger richpix said...

Totally awesome sickness day posting, dude! I'm just devastated that you didn't include the word "deadly" in your most eloquent rantation.

If your trash can aiming is so bad, I suggest you try the slam dunk shot rather than the three-pointer. Or more practice. ;-)

5:06 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Hey, thanks for the compliment. My kids do have an excellent command of the English language - they are also up on the latest slang which is kind of fun for me. It cracks them up when I use a slang term in an inappropriate manner.
I gotta say, I like that expression, "meh." Sums up so much in one little word.

5:31 AM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

I left a lengthy comment here last night. It was brilliant. And it's not here! Well, shoot. Did you see Auntie's rant? Your crankiness is catching and your artwork is spot on, as usual!

12:42 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Sometimes comments don't make it over here if you use MISE. Blogger only likes firefox.

5:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home