Wednesday, May 02, 2007

A Simple Song


Every once in a while you come across a song with lyrics that are very clever. The fact that this song is still out there today may make it the most clever song of the last century.

The song below shows up here and there every once in a while and every time I hear it I think about how clever it really is and how much fun it must have been to write a little ditty like this. Melodically, it is typical 40s and pleasant and cool for children as well.

Mairzy Dotes
Words and music by Milton Drake, Al Hoffman and Jerry Livingston.

Mareseatoats and doeseatoats and littlelambseativy

and kid'lleativytoo wouldn't you?

Mareseatoats and doeseatoats and littlelambseativy

and kid'lleativytoo wouldn't you?

If the words sound queer and funny to your ear

A little bit jumbled and jivey

Sing mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy

Mareseatoats and doeseatoats and littlelambseativy

and kid'lleativytoo wouldn't you?

Mareseatoats and doeseatoats and littlelambseativy

and kid'lleativytoo wouldn't you?

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved that song as a kid and haven't heard it in years! Thanks for the smile, I'll be humming it all day.

6:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daddy used to sing that to us and we would crack up.

Hey, what's with the warm and fuzzy topic today? Very un-"Guy" like.

Feeling a Sick Day coming on soon to clear the air for ya?

7:22 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Trish, I hope that doesn't become a problem for you.

Auntie, that was the last article I had in the bank. I'll have to start writing again.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Well, that brought back some memories. My parents used to get me to sing that when I was a kid and then they'd crack up. Apparently, I consistently missed some particular note - and could never figure out which one.
I thought I sounded fantastic.

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simple humor has really dissapeared in the last 30 years or so.
A turn of a phrase, puns, dittys, whimzy etc... all gone.
If you present classic humor you often will get a laugh all right; but they are laughing AT you rather than with you.
Unfortunatly, in todays world, someone's private parts have to be in a vice or laying out on an anvil in order to provoke a smile.
I am saddened by this trend.
If you will pardon me now, I must return to my video game in hopes of a perfect score of 500 opponents killed.

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will echo one of Guy's previous statements to Gearhead (actually he has asked several times, I recall)

Gearhead, why don't you have a blog?

12:34 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, if families only saved recordings the way they save photographs. I'd love to hear the little you singing that song.

Gearhead, could it be that we were easily amused back then. I mean was Bob Hope ever funny? I don't think so. Hey were your ears ringing today? I gave a two-hour talk and did a thing on your invention. The group loved it.

Auntie, you are confusing the Heads again. I'm trying to convince Moosehead to get a blog. Gearhead is way too busy for this sort of foolishness. Moosehead on the other hand may be in the process of choosing a new profession so he may have some time.

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Both "heads" need to blog. Just my opinion. Gearhead seems like he likes to be busy.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Tryan Hartill said...

People work and have jobs in Canada? Who knew...

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Guy!
After reading your blog, I spent the afternoon loading the K.B. Truck in the pouring down rain for delivery in the morning.
All the time, I was singing that song. Made things nice. :-)
Maybe I should have been singing "Rain Drops Keep Falling On My Head" :-O
Anyway, it was fun to learn the song!

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home