Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Novel Idea


I’ve been asked about my writing a lot lately. Many of my friends are trying to convince me to republish my first two books that are now out of print and finally publish the sequence to my first book that is finished, but not edited as of yet. Some know of another project I was working on a couple years ago that I placed on the back burner.

I admit that I do feel guilty for not keeping up with my novel life, but this blog is serving me as an excellent outlet for my writing right now.

Writing for me is a ritual; an all consuming ritual. I can hammer out a blog article in a couple minutes and then it’s over. Some days when I have the time and the inspiration I can write five or six articles and then I can go about my life.

Writing a book on the other hand is a different story. I can relate to Philip Roth in his book The Ghost Writer where he said he starts writing after breakfast. He doesn’t like what he’s written so he re arranges the words in the sentence. Then he puts them back. Then he replaces some words and then rearranges them. When lunch time rolls around he crumples the pages with the sentence on it and throws it in the waste basket. After lunch he begins the process again.

For me to write fiction again I may have to rent an office away from home. I may have to sequester myself there like a veil. I need just a small room with me, a comfy chair, a computer and maybe a cat. That’s what it may take for me to get back into the fiction business.

6 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

Then get to it, dopey!

6:27 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

I like to write with hubbub all around me. Good thing, because I will not rent an office away from home. But, you, you...I agree with Auntie. Goferit.

6:34 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Yes, as Virginia Woolf said, you need "a room of one's own."
I don't have one and I've been using that as an excuse for putting off my fiction writing.
(Which doesn't explain why I was able to write before...)

8:44 AM  
Blogger Amaya said...

It's amazing how efficient you can be in the proper space. And having a cat there - great idea. Companionship plus the repetitious petting can soothe.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

If you have a barn, is there space for a 'writing room'? How about an out-building on your place? Stereo system, PC, and other necessities only?

10:08 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I do have room here, but if I am on the property I will always see things that need to be done. I would really need it to be like an office away from home where I could go to work. If I could write for 40 hours a week I could get the rest of the stuff out of my head.

6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home