Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Is He or Is She?


Recently I heard Johnny Cash’s version of the Shell Silverstein song, “A Boy Named Sue.” (And you can bet I will be doing an article on Shell Silverstein real soon. That’s the way articles happen here, one article inspires another and then another.) Anyway, I was having an e-mail exchange with someone recently who is new to this blog. (Hi Christie!)

We were talking about men who have names that are traditionally women’s name. Sure there is always Terry, and Dale and most folks learned not to be gender specific when one of those names pops up. However, when you are talking about a subject of men with women’s names “A Boy Named Sue” always comes to mind. I know a man named Shirley. She knows a man named Lavern.

I told Christie about a publishing opportunity I absolutely blew because the publisher was named Kim and in e-mail correspondence I might have been a bit flirtatious. As it turned out Kim was a big bald guy with a bushy religious beard. There ought to be a law…damn it.

13 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

Guy....when will you ever learn?

5:50 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

Guy...you? Flirtatious? Can't see how that could happen.

6:31 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

I love how you qualified that - "might have been a bit flirtatious."

8:53 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Yeah, I know, I'm usually the one being flirted at, and I'm sticking with the "Might have been."

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least Kim didn't file sexual harassment charges ... LOL!

2:51 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Right you are, Walt. Had that happened I'd only be able to be published at Just Out and the Advocate.

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how upset would you have been if he returned your flirtations?

7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a law new from the last legislative session.
It just went into effect.
It would allow you to sue the pants off...(let me try that one again)
It would allow you to take legal action for discrimination in the loss of consideration due to his percieved differences in ,blah,blah,blah.....
Better hurry!
Those two laws WILL be repeiled next year.
:-Q

9:51 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

CCF, That would depend upon how good the contract offer would have been.

Gearhead, Even in Ohio? You know who I'm talking about.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

ah, men with women's names and women with men's names...a southern tradition ;)

6:55 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Looks like you got hit, too, Lee.

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shel Silverstein is great, I must concur. If you are truly going to research his work, make sure that you not miss his adult themed and political pieces. They are hard to come by, but they are around. One such piece is "The great smoke out". I came across this a couple years back, and having been raised on "Where the Sidewalk Ends", I was, well, shocked I guess. But in a good way. He ranks up there with the likes of Robin Williams et al as one of those people that just forces you to look at the world in a completely alien way. Have fun. . .

11:27 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I'm covering the bases, but I just need more time to pull it all together.

BTW, I like the name.

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home