Friday, December 21, 2007

Adult Children


There are some people who when you see them you can see the child that was once in them. I’ve always said that people are exactly the same people they were as children, only bigger and more-so. Having lived the first thirty-three years of my life in the same town where I was born allowed me to see many of the children I grew up with become adults. The kids that were douches in kindergarten were the same as adults when I left. The kids who were thieves in their younger years were in some sort of prison or rehab when I left.

Now the cool thing is what happened to the kids who never distinguished themselves as being good, bad, or creative, or special in any way. It seems to me that they simply turned into their parents.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep...child is the father to man...no question.

Your pic reminds me of a hot spring day in a classroom. Antsy weather for a kid wanting to be outside. Fidgeting...sliding the bum up and down on the seat. All of a sudden...a pain in the ass. Very sharp pain...pain increasing in intensity. Jumping up to find the source and had three or four wooden matches in my rear pocket that ignited with the friction. Ouch! and the beginning of my career as the class clown.
Fast forward to current "adulthood".
Unloading product in a blueberry field in the evening. Backing truck up to facilitate unloading...being aware of surroundings... always checking for potential mechanical problems. Notice a wet spot on the ground not far from where the truck was parked. Wondering...oil leak? transmission leak? coolant leak? Bend over to feel the fluid to see if it is oily...bring fingers to nose to see if it smells like transmission fluid. Realization dawning...forgot...I took a leak when we got there. Yep. Urine. Damn...child is the father to man. At least I didn't taste it...

7:54 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

"...simply turned into their parents."
Please, God, no.
I'd rather be a thief. Or in rehab.

9:35 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Moosehead, you are too funny for words. You really need your own blog.

Beth, it's probably too late to change the wheels that were set in motion years ago. Have you distinguished your self?

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home