Monday, December 24, 2007

It Takes the Cake


I’m sure we’ve all been to parties where there was a cake. It’s usually a home made unprofessional cake or one of the cakes you can get from a bakery for under $10. Oddly at these parties there always seems to be someone there to photograph the cake. I’m curious what happens to all these cake photos. Let’s face it, the cakes are generally pretty generic and ugly. An unskilled person behind a camera couldn’t possibly make them look any better. They can only take an ugly object that might actually taste good and turn it into a two dimensional blob/disk.

I can understand taking a photo of one of those artistically done cakes, like the one above, but not a Happy Birthday Schlomo cake. So, stop it grand-ma. No one is ever going to look at it again. It needs to eaten and forgotten. Sorry, but someone had to say it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

Well, I've never taken a picture of a cake all by itself... I usually had the birthday-person in the picture with it. But my mom, when she died, left a whole ALBUM-full of pictures of cakes she'd made. Some were very professional wedding cakes she made, but others were simple ones she made for the kids.

7:30 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Being that cake was her vocation, one needs to take photos of ones work. I just have a problem when I see people photographing a cake they got off the shelf at Safeway.

6:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just because you asked for it: here's a pic of my daughter's birthday cake. I agree with you and I can't figure out why I continue to take photo's of the dumb thing. Hilarious really.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lifeandtimesofchantel/2114628672/in/set-72157594314580717/

10:44 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Artfully done, Chantel, as your photos usually are. You haven't been a grandmother long enough to get goofy with cakes yet.

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home