Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Drink Up


I have been trying to keep out of local politics, but I really need to comment about the recall petition of Richard Lee.

If you’ve been reading this blog from back in the early days you will note that I’ve commented on my displeasure with Lee on many occasions. I was displeased because he professed to be on the side of my local community with a challenge we were having with the County. Westbrook wouldn’t let us address our concerns in meetings, it looked grim. When it came up for a BOCC vote, Green voted with us and Lee abstained. You bet we were pissed. We felt lied to.

A lot of readers out there know who I am and they tell me things which I will never divulge or betray their confidence. I have people on both sides of this issue telling me things, disturbing things. So even with all the accusations I am going to address this issue as John Q Public who doesn’t have a blog and doesn’t get tips and input from friends and readers. I will base this article on what is public information and not upon hearsay no matter how reliable my sources are.

I had a recall petitioner approach me last weekend. He started off by saying that we need to recall Lee because he voted for LNG. Wrong, he voted on a land use issue. I asked if Lee voted illegally or if they had proof that Lee was in cahoots with the LNG industry. The petitioner said they had no proof.

He went on to say that Lee’s development at Miles Crossing is in violation of zoning codes and that Lee gets permits after the fact. I asked if Lee has been arrested or fined over the violations. The answer again was, “no.”

He went on to state that Lee and his wife have bullied many people in the community, naming one person in particular who I’m sure wants to remain totally anonymous. I asked if charges have been brought against Lee for this, again the answer was, “no.” I asked if the actions of Lee’s wife or any of Lee’s business representatives were grounds to recall Lee? Again, the answer was “no.”

He went on to say that Lee made questionable appointments to boards and committees. I asked if the boards and committees in questions had other means of electing members other than BOCC appointments, the answer was, “No.”

I asked the petitioner if he or any of the members of his organization ever visit with Lee to ask his opinions. Again the answer was, “no.” I had to enlighten him that Richard Lee is very accessible and that I have swung by the Area Center on occasion and asked him questions. Richard lee always explains his rationale if you ask him. He seems pretty open to me. Believe it or not every time I go there Richard Lee asks my opinion on other topics. A couple weeks ago he asked me what I thought of a plan to move the EOC (Emergency Operation Center) to Camp Rilea. I told him that it is a bad idea because one possible disaster is a tsunami that could potentially wipe Rilea off the map. I still think the Fair Grounds would be better, but would need a lot more infrastructure to make that possible.

I asked if Josh and Cindy were behind this campaign. The petitioner wouldn’t confirm or deny that they are the “Generating Force.” He did admit that many of the people involved in the recall campaign were involved with 4-123.

This recall was in the works long before 4-123 even went to the voters. If you read the forums you will see those recall threats were being made before last November. This recall is nothing more than a continuance of Josh and Cindy revenge tactics with a coat-tail gathering of LNG opponents, which are all cut from the same cloth.

I will agree that Lee can come off as arrogant and bold. I personally haven't seen his arrogance, but I have seen his sense of humor and believe it or not, compassion. He is used to getting his way by using leverage. I don’t always agree with his vision, but he is the elected Commissioner for District 3 and should not be challenged for every decision he makes. We as voters democratically elected him to make decisions. We saw him as being more fit for that office than his opposition. So the opponents need to suck it up until the democratic process happens again in District 3 for his seat on the Board of County Commissioners.

As of the moment I write this, Lee has not been charged with any criminal activity to my knowledge. If something comes up I will reconsider his fitness for office, but for now he is the District #3 Commissioner. He is asked to vote on issues and he casts his one vote among the four votes of the other Commissioners. He does not have a monopolistic advantage on voting. Lee got elected because more people voted for him than for is opponent (Cindy Price) and now is entrusted to vote in what he believes to be the best interest of his constituents no matter what CCFOG or the Daily Astorian has to say about it.

I repeat, this recall effort is nothing more than a revenge campaign. You may sincerely believe it is all about an LNG vote, but in reality you are being used and your strings are being pulled by two puppet masters with a big revenge scheme that is nearly as big as their egos. It's been going on for a long, long time. My advice, don't drink the CCFOG Kool-Aid, it's poison.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this view. I have to admit that I feel very dirty now. Petitioners came to my home last weekend and I felt bullied into signing. I don't like being disturbed at home, it is my sanctuary. I just signed it so they would leave. I will vote against the recall. You are right it is revenge.

5:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This has to be the best written and most objective view on this topic I've seen so far. If Lee gets voted out is there any chance you will run for this office? County government needs this sort of level headed attitude and objectivity. I would vote for you Guy.

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you trying to find out who your true friends are. It does feel good to go outside and stand naked in a storm once in a while.

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks again for the stark raving naked truth on this subject.

9:18 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

007, please don't put that image in people's heads. Too disturbing. Brrrrrrrrrr...

Anon 1, that's the good thing about elections, there is lots of time to get opinions out there so one can be fully informed by the time you mark your ballot. Hopefully people do seek to understand both sides of an issue before they vote.

Anon 2, Thank you and No.

Anon #3, Naked truth is good, naked me is bad. Thanks for turning that around for me.

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Richard Lee needs to be held accountable for his actions.Just because he is Richard Lee doese not make him any better than anyone else. A person will say what and hear what you want to hear. I know Josh as man that many would want as there Da"I also admire his wife Cindy Price. I have known Richard Lee and I know his family as well" And just because you may know them is no excuse for the actions that this group is holding him accountable for. Many know who I am and I am proud to have been one of the sign gathers to keep Josh where he is at, Because without a doubt I would rather rescue Josh if he was on a stranded island than the Lees,

4:25 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Luke, obviously the Texas heat has altered your reading comprehension. Well maybe not, you were this way when you lived here. Lee has not been charged or convicted of any crime. There are no grounds for recall. You seem to have the same affliction as those you support, declaring someone’s guilt before any facts are presented. Remember Josh often says that if you are being investigated you are more than likely guilty. So in turn this mean that Betsy Johnson who is presently being investigated by the FBI is guilty. By your logic she should be recalled. There's a project for CCFOG. Recall Betsy!

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://labrooks.wordpress.com/

I posted today about some interesting Lee gossip I heard over the weekend. Check it out. I also put you on my blogroll. Love your blog, guy!
Best,
Laura

8:32 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Thanks, Laura. See my comments on your site.

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The vote on the land use issue which is commonly characterized as "pro LNG" is of concern to some because there was a lack of due diligence on the part of the commissioners. Specifically, with respect to Calpine, the fact that the company was on the verge of bankruptcy, which was readily apparent with a cursory look at its balance sheet, was not taken into consideration.
The fact that this author is so thorough in his (or her) research into all issues which contribute to this recall, then concludes that it is "nothing more than a continuance of Josh and Cindy revenge tactics" without a modicum of proof, show that this is not an objective analysis, but an attempt to justify a preconceived opinion.
If there is proof of the fact that Josh and Cindy are behind this issue, the proof should be shown and disclosed to voters. Otherwise, unsubstantiated claims should be labeled as such.

5:13 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

The only proof I needed was when I asked a CCFOG petitioner about the involvement of Josh Marquis, they said that they can not confirm or deny that he is part of the group. Had they said he was not involved would not lead me to speculate that he was/is. For not being involved his name sure did come up often in the CCFOG interview on KAST. Funny how the core group of CCFOG is the no 4-123 people. Is Josh not involved, or are these people just so pissed off that they lost 4-123 that their momentum can't be stopped?

Stupid things are done in Christianity in the name of Christ, so I suppose it is possible that stupid things are being done in the name of Josh.

Let's face it, having Josh's name attached to anything is a disaster at this point. Had his name been cemented in this group it never would have gotten any traction. He has lost the respect of all in the county except for those who he has power over or those who just don't see his that his actions are wrong and childish and unbecoming of a public servant.

I will admit that Josh has finally learned how to cover his tracks pretty well these days. It looks like he has learned about the problems with paper trails from FOIA requests in the past.

5:48 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Add to that Josh was on the air denying his involvement with the group today, yet campaigning for them...oh I mean for campaigning himself and that is exactly whet they are campaigning for, revenge for Josh and Cindy.

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home